When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'39 Firestone Twinflex

-

ohdeebee

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I've had this for a while and was somewhat undecided as to the route I wanted to take with it. Originally the bike was to be painted and then aged to look original but the more I thought about it the more I really wanted to go all the way with this one. The hard parts to a restoration (for me at least) are all of the soft parts. The seat was toast, no tires and no grips. I was able to get my hands on some NOS condition Firestone High Speed tires and my mind was made up.

I sent the seat to Josh McRell in San Diego who did an excellent job on the seat. I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out. I tracked down some grips in NOS condition and put them on a set of very nice original chrome 28" crossbrace bars. The wheels were built today after I found a distributor for the correct size double butted spokes.

I'm still looking for a tank and fenders but I plan on having the parts I have sandblasted early this summer so that I can start the paint process and get this bike on the road!

Here's the bike when I got it.
062211161930-1.jpg

Here was a second one I came across and robbed a few parts:
102911083943-1.jpg

And here is the bike today:
031212161628-1.jpg

Firestone High Speed tires on newly built wheels. Check out the spokes.:
031212161646-1.jpg

Here is a better shot of the seat that Josh did:
030712154443-1.jpg

Stamp:
030712154449-1.jpg

Boy...that has really come along since your first post debut. From beautiful rust to what it is now. The tires are killer! Good work! Out of all the Twinflex's the 39 Firestone is my favorite, the small guard is used. Dayton by that point was already on a different style guard. But that is the only Dayton built Firestone badged bike I enjoy, the rest for me needs to be Dayton badged.

Here's a beautiful example of an original 39 Dayton Firestone bicycle of your bike.

Attachments

• 1939 firestone twinflex original jg 3.jpg
    1939 firestone twinflex original jg 3.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Beautiful transformation on that bicycle! Does Josh hand sew his seat recoverings? The stitching looks so even it's hard to tell...

Dave

Where did you get the tires? A pair would be great for a Firestone Deluxe Cruiser I'm restoring.

The tires came from another Cabe member. I had another set which I sold and I found another single NOS tire with the tag that I passed on to another member here.

Back