When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

39 Hawthorne Twin Bar

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Well, I had a little hiccup on the project. The rack needed some repair.....
DSC_0979.JPG

DSC_0980.JPG

That's done....
The fenders need a lot of work. They have tons of dings in them but the problem is that they are so flimsy, it seemed to be slowing me down with the repairs. I came up with an idea a few weeks ago, bought the parts, but let them sit. Today, before the brutal heat sets in, I put my pee brain idea into motion. I set it up to work on the back fender first......
DSC_0986.JPG

DSC_0987.JPG

DSC_0988.JPG

Then I placed the front fender on.......a little shorter.....
DSC_0989.JPG
Found the solution....
DSC_0992.JPG

DSC_0993.JPG

It still works for the rear fender....
DSC_0994.JPG

This is what I used to mark the cuts, the fender dolly, worked great....
DSC_0991.JPG

I still have to make the pieces to secure the fenders to this jig.....more to follow.
Getting closer to color.....

Deep dark red on the left.

All the pics of red are all the same color, even the stripe on the one....
The one you like on the left is sprayed on just primer, the one on the right is on top of white paint.....the stripe on the other one is just 3 coats of the same color on white, then sprayed over with 2 coats of the same red....that's why it's important to do tests....
I love those test cars......about 98cents apiece......

All the pics of red are all the same color, even the stripe on the one....
The one you like on the left is sprayed on just primer, the one on the right is on top of white paint.....the stripe on the other one is just 3 coats of the same color on white, then sprayed over with 2 coats of the same red....that's why it's important to do tests....
I love those test cars......about 98cents apiece......
Yea I'm a painter and use those allot at work.

Well, I had a little hiccup on the project. The rack needed some repair.....
View attachment 835341

View attachment 835342

That's done....
The fenders need a lot of work. They have tons of dings in them but the problem is that they are so flimsy, it seemed to be slowing me down with the repairs. I came up with an idea a few weeks ago, bought the parts, but let them sit. Today, before the brutal heat sets in, I put my pee brain idea into motion. I set it up to work on the back fender first......
View attachment 835343

View attachment 835344

View attachment 835345

Then I placed the front fender on.......a little shorter.....
View attachment 835346
Found the solution....
View attachment 835358

View attachment 835348

It still works for the rear fender....
View attachment 835349

This is what I used to mark the cuts, the fender dolly, worked great....
View attachment 835347

I still have to make the pieces to secure the fenders to this jig.....more to follow.
Getting closer to color.....
image.jpeg

I had some serious sanding to do. Full support by the plywood. Only a couple screws and it held tight.
image.jpeg

This worked, but I think I like yours better!

Last edited:
I bought this bike 2 1/2 years ago not knowing anything about them, I just thought it looked cool. With the help of this site, especially @fordmike65 , I think I understand the uniqueness of it and the history....I thought about posting this thread for quite some time due to the fact that the last time I showed a bike I painted, I got hammered. I decided to show my work to show the newbies not to be afraid of trying....
I am probably 2- 3 grand into this bike already, spent time & money buying all the parts, it's never been put together, and I'm not done with it yet. I have tons of pics of OG bikes and there are subtle differences with them on the darts on the frame, and on the fenders. The fork darts are the same on all them all. In spite of the color that I may choose, I intend to honor this bike with original graphics which will be the combo of 3 OG bikes I have pics of......
Stay tuned......:cool:

Back