When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

39 Hawthorne Twin Bar

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
So you found out what they used for tinting the neon urethane and then tinted your lacquer. View attachment 839221
@GTs58
I didn't care to much for chemistry in HS, but Nikki sure turned me on during lab work.
No sir, not the answer..It was an excellent question to see if the "Painters"on here know the answer.

Last edited:
Is that translucent/candy lacquer? Are planning on doing ghost pins?
I forgot to show the paint...
DSC_1027.JPG

So you found out what they used for tinting the neon urethane and then tinted your lacquer. View attachment 839221

I didn't care to much for chemistry in HS, but Nikki sure turned me on during lab work.

The answer is quite simple...in the mid 80's, All the jet ski racers wanted neon colors, but they are urethane enamel and I just use Lacquer. I called a House of Kolor rep and asked they had it in Lacquer. The answer was no.
I was going to lose a lot of business, and the rep and I had a convo about that....
DSC_1028.JPG
What the rep told me was this...He said he shouldn't tell me this, but if you use Urethane paint, and thin it with Lacquer, it is now a Lacquer paint....no catalyst, no nothing. This was 1985...Being a skeptic, I wasn't sure. Nothing like getting a grand for a paint job and the paint comes flying off on the first bump in the road, or first wave.. Well it worked just fine, changed the way I paint which allows me to do what I do today....Glad I called him.
Funny, you are the first to ask that question...Not may Lacquer painters out there, restorers go for the Urethane's.

More progress yesterday and this morning...in spite of the color, I'm staying true to the bikes design. I am doing a combination of these two...
1aaa.jpg

2aaa.jpg

notes.jpg

twinbarparts.jpg
The top frame darts are hard to see, it's just bright outside...
DSC_1041.JPG

DSC_1040.JPG

DSC_1034.JPG

These fenders, after 30+ hrs of work, look like new. Couldn't be happier..
DSC_1036.JPG

DSC_1037.JPG

Almost done.....:sweatsmile:

Took a couple of days off to let everything dry. Back to the fenders........
DSC_1042.JPG

I was waiting for someone to ask, "Why are the fenders silver when most of the bike is white?" I learned that it's easier to make a 1/8" stripe with one piece of tape than using 2 pieces to make a 1/8" stripe. Very hard to be consistent...so....
DSC_1044.JPG

DSC_1045.JPG

DSC_1047.JPG

DSC_1048.JPG

DSC_1049.JPG

DSC_1050.JPG

Then paint the white back on....
DSC_1051.JPG

I'll pull the tape this afternoon and marvel at the great lines...:eek:

Back