When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

39 Shelby Flyer

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
A

artracing

I am new to this forum and hopefully you all can help me with info to restore a bike. I'll be looking for parts.
My brothers father in-law just gave me is first bike he ever owned to restore.
It appears to be a 39 Shelby Flyer Airflow
It is the same as the one in the data base but the handlebar mount is tear dropped on the datat base bike.
Is this bike a 1939?

Rob

Attachments

• 39ShelbyFlyer.JPG
    39ShelbyFlyer.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 631
39 Shelby

Please do not restore this bike except just cleaning it up. It is too valuable as is than it would be restored. The original paint appears to be in great condition considering its age. If you or whoever owns the bike would consider selling it, I am a SERIOUS buyer. If you wish to sell please email me at [email protected]
Either way please don't restore it.
Thanks, John Simpson

Clean it gently then leave it alone. The vultures will be circling soon, trying to pry it away from you for a song. Whatever you do, don't entertain any offers until you find out *exactly* what it's worth. The price may surprise you. B607

Last edited by a moderator:
B607......I AM a serious buyer and willing to pay a fair and honest price for the bike IF they choose to sell it. I am not trying to steal anything from anyone. I highly resent "do-gooders" sticking their two cents in when no one asked for their opinion.
John Simpson

I think Rob's question was" IS THIS BIKE A 1939". I am just a novice collector and don't know. I did not see anything in his post that the bike was for sale.

I personally would not restore the bike either but that is his choice.

B607 was only offering good advice in his opinion, not calling anyone in particular a vulture. John, you gave your opinion, why jump on B607 for giving his.

Maybe someone who knows can answer Rob's question about the correct year.

It is either a '38 or '39 Speedline Airflo. The stem is correct, the high center finned stem you see in a lot of pictures was an option. Service it, polish it, and enjoy it for what it is.

Thank God!!!!

A amazing bicycle not owned by a greedy bike hoarder WHHHOOOOO HOOOO!!!

Remember when the boy in "willie Wonka" found the golden ticket the people told him...

Run Boy Run!!! and don't stop till you get home!!!

Don't SELL IT EVER.:eek:

J A M I E

39 Shelby

Thanks for your feedback. The bike is not for sale. It was a struggle to get this gentleman to take the bike out of the basement for photos let alone allow it to be restored. If I don't restore it it goes back to the wet basement. If I restore it will be a trophy in a living room.

I restore very exspensive motorcycles so there is no question it will be
done right.

Restore or not to restore. Age old delema.

Not restored.....cool old bike
Restored.....WOW cool old bike

I still need to research the exact year for documents.
Tail light is Delta and needs a lense. Its 60% right now.

Rob

Apologies To B607

(1) First of all, my apologies to B607 for being so rude.

(2) It is the old gentleman's bike and he will get more pleasure out of having it restored and showing it off than it deteriorating in a damp basement.

(3) Check with Memory Lane Classics for a Delta taillight lens. If they don't have any they may be able to direct you to someone who does.

(4) It is a 1938/39 Shelby Speedline Airflow and looks to be very complete.

Good luck with your restoration and please post photos of the finished bike.
John

Away we go

Thanks John.
It is a tough call sometimes as to restore or not but I agree, Frank will be tickled to death see his first bike brand new again. It will also be a good memory for his family when he passes.

A fine piece of antique furniture I would not restore. My Steve MCQueen motorcycle, you would have to hold a gun to my head to restore it.

Where do we get tires and tubes?

Are the spokes and nipples unique?
Do I need to restore the originals or does someone carry same type new and no one would know the difference?

Are there paint codes available? Was this bike fire Engine Red and white?

New coke bottle grips?

How about foot peddles?

Thanks for any help.

Rob

Back