When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

40-41 Westfield Elgin Model?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Hi @rustndust

The Westfield processing of frames appears to be that when the frame was made, it was stamped with the year and month, but the serial number wasn't stamped on until the bicycle was completed. This is evident in that some replacement frames with only the date and no serial number exist, and that the serial number can be seen to have been stamped after the frame was painted on others.

Westfield did occasionally keep frames in stock for a few months, but these were usually frames there was a low demand for, which is not the case with this one.

So, your bike was built up in 1940. Since blackout parts were not available until 1942, it was not fitted with these from new.

Best Regards,

Adrian

I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with the Elgin, the fork will need repair or replacement due to the bad threads. The easiest fix would be to find a springer fork for it and just put it together with what I have. But I'll likely just weld on a new steer tube.
The bike has no chrome, so right or wrong for now its going to get its crank and sprocket and other parts painted satin black.
If the weather finally breaks long enough for me to spray some paint, I'll give the frame a coat of primer for now.
The only wheels I've got are a set of 50's box pattern rims and the same for the fenders, I've got a pair of mid 50's Wald balloon fenders that I can use.
In reality all I've got is the frame and fork, with a crankset, seat post, and headset.
I still have no clue what the headbadge should be on this, I've got 11 different Elgin badges and none match the screw pattern or the original marks in the paint.
I can drill a new hole and make something fit, or just leave it without one for now. I haven't decided.
Its a ratrod bike at best at this point.

Back