When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

40 minus 24 why Dan the bike man sold now

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Dan the bike man

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Suspended
I am still quite young, but I have collected vintage and antique bikes for most of my life. I've also studied the history of bicycle collecting. I love the hobby for the most part. Riding the bikes is fun and good exercise. "Talking bikes" is enjoyable. People stop me while I'm out riding to say they like the bike and ask about it's history or why a certain part looks so different.

My collection has gone up and down drastically in the past 6 years. I've owned hundreds of mostly better bikes. Blue Panther, green phantom, 2 Glidacycles, a bunch of Huffmans, etc etc. Not huge dollar bikes but lots of $2,000 , $3,000 bikes many $1,000 bikes. Most recently I had 40 bikes. In less than two months the number has gone down to 16.

When I started posting them some people asked if I was ok. why was I selling so many. Am I getting out of the hobby. I appreciate the concern. No moving, no divorce, no illness. Thank God! No I'm selling off so many now to get to my core collection due to my feeling that vintage and antique bike values are about to decline big time in the near future. I don't follow CL or ebay at all. But I do watch the CABE. There have been multiples of so many rare bikes lately. Bikes that you used to see one posted every few years and all of a sudden there's 3 on here at once. Many of the older collectors who had 2 or 3 of some of these bikes are also now selling. Some sellers are younger (like myself) and may be selling to buy other bikes or because they have a family and need the money. But there seems to be too many rare and or expensive bikes on the market now. Not to get political but it seems the economy as a whole may get shaky soon. This could further the decline in values as people sell to live off the funds.

I still own 16 unusual bikes. If my predictions are correct and values do decline, it will effect me. But I don't care. I'm not selling these bikes anyway, so I will not lose money. Obviously this will upset some collectors. some of you (many of you?) will disagree. That's ok! I was lucky in that 11 bikes went to a local friend of mine. He has owned a few 70's bikes but not the type of bikes I sold him. Instant collector! He got a great deal, he's happy, I'm happy. Will I be proven right or wrong? Time will tell. But I believe prices will decline sharply.

This is purely a hobby to me so I don't get wrapped up in whether or not a purchase is a good investment--because that is what I have 401k, stocks, and bonds, for. I, too, have been a collector of things all my life and have seen the trends and fads. Of all of them so far I think classic bicycles are on pretty solid footing. Sure if the economy takes a hit like it did in '08 a lot of stuff momentarily loses value but the good stuff will always be good stuff. Yep we've seen three Bluebirds for sale at the same time--I believe all brought market prices.

The thing that makes this hobby something of an anomaly is the number of younger (relatively speaking) collectors involved and that the collecting doesn't seem to be generational. By that I mean few of us were around when the Bluebird, Aerocycle, or Speedline was introduced but these will make most collectors top ten list regardless of their age and if they have the means will get one. In 23 days I'll be 56. So I grew up with middleweights, lightweights, and muscle bikes. I own a few road bikes for exercise, no middleweights and only two Sting Rays. My collecting interests are focused on complete, original, or nicely restored, deluxe prewar ballooners. I see no shortage of buyers for the really nice stuff. There is a bunch of this stuff moving all the time that is not advertised. That's my view. V/r Shawn

My hobbies are all non for profit.lol They are because I like them.Win,lose or draw,I dont care.I have real investments and my toys are just that,toys.I dont flip.If I buy it is because I want it. I have most of my things priced so my kids will know what items are worth so they can do what they want with them

I agree with Shawns sentiments.
Collect what you like, because it moves you emotionally.
When the time comes to sell, my guess is that it will sell for just about what you have into it.
Inflation may play a roll in whether you come out ahead or not, but my feeling is that you came out ahead on the day that you acquired it.
I sat and stared at my Bluebird for hours when I got it.
I was just awe struck by the way that bike was manufactured and the time period for which it was made.
I'll never look at an Elgin Bluebird the same way again.
That feeling pretty much goes with every magnificent bicycle that I've been able to acquire.
I've already got my money's worth, so when I sell, my main concern, is that the next caretaker is worthy of it, and feels the same way emotionally as I have.
Then, I'll know it's gone to a good home and it will survive for future generations to enjoy and learn from.
As far as values and the market are concerned.
My observations are when the stock market goes down, people start looking for other places to park their money.
Antique and collectables become a hot market then.
The crash of 08 proved that.
It's tapered off a bit now, but record prices are still being attained on most classics and antiques.
The pre 1900 bicycles seem to be dropping off now, but this upcoming Copake auction will probably have me re thinking that statement.
We'll see.

Exactly! I collect what I like. Not just bikes, any of my "toys" as Vince said. I buy what I like and figure if I sell it I'll lose money. Then I'm not disappointed. I got a few hundred over what I paid for some, a few hundred under what I paid for others. I came out even I figure. Not too many hobbies you can do that.

I really enjoy riding my Rocket bike, my glidacycle, and all my bikes. I sold the ones I will not and can not ride (due to original wood wheels etc) and I'm happy with what I have no matter of value. Bikes aren't an financial investment to me either. Fun is the reward, not money!

As a young new collector I wasn’t around to see what things were worth in the past, I was only 7 in the ‘08 crash so I wasn’t paying attention to drops or increasing in value. But I have noticed that they’re aren’t too many young collectors or even just riders. The first swap meet I set up at, people would come by and try to deal with my dad (who was sitting I a lawn chair off to the side) instead of me. And as far as I can tell a lot of collectors are pushing out potential new comers, I’ve gone picking and I’ll find an older collectors and they’ll try to drop crazy prices or otherwise harass me because they don’t think I know anything I’m talking about. I foresee a shortage of new collectors as the older collectors “move on”

Back