When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

40's Western Flyer

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Western Rider

On Training Wheels
I have an older Western Flyer (40's I believe) but I have a few questions that I hope someone here can answer. The serial number on the bottom of the pedal case is. J58734 then has a C with a w inside it. Can somone tell me what year it actually is and what style badge it should have ? The holes for the badge are 2-7/8" apart. Also what style (if any) springer forks should it have.

These are what I just took. I hope they help.

20191230_234641.jpg

20191230_234617.jpg

20191230_234604.jpg

And your Cleveland-Welding-built bike may or may not have come with a spring fork, but the one that's on it was used by Schwinn, and that style has been reproduced, so it could be original or reproduction.

On the other hand, your rims may be Schwinn S-2's (I can't see them well enough to be sure) and if they are, there's a ready market for those.

I'm kinda new to this. What is this chart telling me ?
Your bike is from the "Cw" series, shown in blue, running from early '47 through mid '49. It was followed by the "ACw" series (pink), then a year based series through 1956. The tiny serial letter codes are to the far right, I know they used J many different times

Back