When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

41 deluxe lightweight

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Ok i opened a can of worms for the micrometer parts debate again..... personally I dont really care its a original paint bike if it ends up a 1962 by serial number to you guys i am happy for you that you think you figured it out ..... its a 40-42 bike to me .... the freakin fender matches the bike why the fender stay is different I really couldnt care less its riveted on not every guy has a rivet gun sitting in the garage or a set of braces that fit the bike if it was fixed so be it done at a shop. After reading all this posts required info how about they were just having problems with the rear wire stays and its a transition bike looking at catalog and they changed them where who knows reading everything about this bike and options needed be custom ordered so sounds like to me they built the bike to order the guy maybe asked for a different stay .... you can nit pick how why and what hut if is all you can find is that , your missing the whole point of the post its a rare bike being the custom ordered options. reading the catalog to figure out what I acquired. For four years i been watching this forum to see if one showed up mostly because of the shielded badge blue bike i have since there is no literature that clearly shows a badge other than New World on it. Bob I think only had these two bikes because of their differences from the norm. So back to the original general ...... sharing of the bike and its original build less the freaking rear stay does anybody have a bike with these options still on it or did they all get savaged to build a restored ballooner? Talking to people they want to buy the parts for far more money than any of the lightweight collectors would pay..... I am convinced that after you confirm its a war time bike i either clean it up put it on my orig paint bullet blinker vw camper and ride the damn thing or donate it to the vetrens museum......

Since we got off track on the nuts and bolts debate another lame question to open back new debate since the bike is so nice condition what the heck happened to the chrome no evidence just silver paint on what looks like bare steel did they use black out parts and the guy wanted it to look like chrome after war or should i change the bars out since i have a nice patina chromed orig set ? Then the wheels will need relaced to put those hubs in a set rims with chrome?

we dont have a decent wheel builder in town unless i take them to American cyclery in sf to get done at Bradley Whols ......or send the to Jerry Heron in ohio. i tried before myself in hope to use the original spokes and the rims look like spagetti i stick to digging ditches ...... its a ignorant mans occupation and no one has more experience at that

how about anyone know anything about that thick strap basket i put on it? My girls when young named the basket .... Wizard of Oz ..... it fits the bike like a Rembrandt to me whatever happens that basket be staying with me.... weird for a guy who has had every five digit valued bike in the hobby to admire

thanks for all the info

My understanding was that rear fender's riveted on bracket was in different spot due to frame size. A 19" frame had the bracket mounted more forward. A 21 or 23" frame had the bracket more to the rear to accomadate the taller seat tube. No other difference

My understanding was that rear fender's riveted on bracket was in different spot due to frame size. A 19" frame had the bracket mounted more forward. A 21 or 23" frame had the bracket more to the rear to accomadate the taller seat tube. No other difference
exactly my thought why there was two sets of holes originally

Ok i opened a can of worms for the micrometer parts debate again..... personally I dont really care its a original paint bike if it ends up a 1962 by serial number to you guys i am happy for you that you think you figured it out ..... its a 40-42 bike to me .... the freakin fender matches the bike why the fender stay is different I really couldnt care less its riveted on not every guy has a rivet gun sitting in the garage or a set of braces that fit the bike if it was fixed so be it done at a shop. After reading all this posts required info how about they were just having problems with the rear wire stays and its a transition bike looking at catalog and they changed them where who knows reading everything about this bike and options needed be custom ordered so sounds like to me they built the bike to order the guy maybe asked for a different stay .... you can nit pick how why and what hut if is all you can find is that , your missing the whole point of the post its a rare bike being the custom ordered options. reading the catalog to figure out what I acquired. For four years i been watching this forum to see if one showed up mostly because of the shielded badge blue bike i have since there is no literature that clearly shows a badge other than New World on it. Bob I think only had these two bikes because of their differences from the norm. So back to the original general ...... sharing of the bike and its original build less the freaking rear stay does anybody have a bike with these options still on it or did they all get savaged to build a restored ballooner? Talking to people they want to buy the parts for far more money than any of the lightweight collectors would pay..... I am convinced that after you confirm its a war time bike i either clean it up put it on my orig paint bullet blinker vw camper and ride the damn thing or donate it to the vetrens museum......

Since we got off track on the nuts and bolts debate another lame question to open back new debate since the bike is so nice condition what the heck happened to the chrome no evidence just silver paint on what looks like bare steel did they use black out parts and the guy wanted it to look like chrome after war or should i change the bars out since i have a nice patina chromed orig set ? Then the wheels will need relaced to put those hubs in a set rims with chrome?

we dont have a decent wheel builder in town unless i take them to American cyclery in sf to get done at Bradley Whols ......or send the to Jerry Heron in ohio. i tried before myself in hope to use the original spokes and the rims look like spagetti i stick to digging ditches ...... its a ignorant mans occupation and no one has more experience at that

how about anyone know anything about that thick strap basket i put on it? My girls when young named the basket .... Wizard of Oz ..... it fits the bike like a Rembrandt to me whatever happens that basket be staying with me.... weird for a guy who has had every five digit valued bike in the hobby to admire

thanks for all the info
I haven't seen many lightweights with the drum brakes, but there's some good pictures of one on page 14 of this thread:
: but if I'm reading it right the hubs have since been removed from that bike. I expect you're right, the price difference between balloon tire bikes and these means the hubs usually get stripped and rebuilt for a Phantom or something. Being extra cost options, they were probably uncommon to start with, and are even more so now.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's sort of an unfortunate side alley of collecting old utility "lightweights" like these, and it has been like that for years. A decent New World might sell for a couple hundred dollars, but if you go strictly to parts values, the brake levers, hubs, stems, seats, etc. end up being more valuable. I've owned three New Worlds (pre and post war) where the bike arrived as just a core (compared to three that were complete, so a 50-50 proposition for me). That's maybe a frame, fenders, a few extra parts through in, etc. But certainly these cores had lost most of the ballooner-helpful parts.

I even had one that had been stripped once, then I bought the project and the seller stripped off the Miller kickstand before shipping it to me (without telling me). So that bike had been stripped twice of parts. Eventually I built all of these bikes back up to a complete state, some with correct period parts, and others with a few modern upgrades (depending on my feeling for whatever project was in front of me).

And that's just the basics. "Upgrade" parts like drum hubs and rare parts like the Webb levers and the flip-flop stems really invite part-outs.

I really appreciate when bikes like the New World show up with their levers, drums, etc. still attached. They're great bikes.

I haven't seen many lightweights with the drum brakes, but there's some good pictures of one on page 14 of this thread:
: and if I'm reading it right the hubs have since been removed from that bike. I expect you're right, the price difference between balloon tire bikes and these means the hubs usually get stripped and rebuilt for a Phantom or something. Being extra cost options, they were probably uncommon to start with, and are even more so now.
these pre war hubs will bring over a thousand dollars for the set and levers and cables for a 40-41 autocycle deluxe the chain guard another 2-300 for aerocycle ..... it would ruin this bike but be hard pressed to get $1250 I valued it at in the $150k pile when i bought it all .... the basket will bring $350 or ive had offers for it 25 years ago for it .... i have never seen another in 30 years of collecting i am going to keep this bike and display it with my other top 5 pre war bikes as my schwinn example ..... i sold all my five digit schwinns including aerocycles and autocycle deluxes this bike deserves to sit with my 36 commander,37 rms, 38 airflows, .... because when i sell it the vultures will cut those hubs out

Anyone remember the green His and Hers Mint pair on ebay some years back? Totally museum quality! I think LaSalle badged or Lincoln...
Drum brakes and the works and showroom condish....sold for like 7 something...
I was the under bidder...should have bid more.

undervalued bikes 4 sure

Anyone remember the green His and Hers Mint pair on ebay some years back? Totally museum quality! I think LaSalle badged or Lincoln...
Drum brakes and the works and showroom condish....sold for like 7 something...
I was the under bidder...should have bid more.

undervalued bikes 4 sure
1938-39 i believe if it was LaSalle badged or Lincoln i have a blue shield badged .... that was a buy

n9963?

Back