When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

41 deluxe lightweight

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
looking at the pictures and chart in 42 it seems pretty common to have mixed braces and using the shielded badges now on the blue bike with caliper brakes wire braces shielded badge I would have to think earlier than this bike i go dig it out of tent pile at my yard get serial number

thanks for info

Not to drag mud in but the obvious regarding rear mud guard seems to be over looked. The empty slot and hole. It's missing, was removed at some point, a bracket that was set under the fender. There's a rust spot where a washer had been used and compressed it there, around the hole. That's no coincidence, not accidental. The current bracket, copper rivet and the nut, do not have patina that's equal to the other parts on this bike.

@pedals-past I don-a wan-a open a can-o-worms but, your presumption of having a rivet tool to repair this, whelp, yeah works for today's logic but not yesterday. I mean, as example, heck in 50-60's plenty gas stations, plenty all across the US had all kin-a tools that plenty local kids could barrow, or a for a quarter and less, just have repair guy pinch in. Norman Rockwell painted a cover mid or just after WWII classic scene groups hanging around older station. As a kid and all through my teens or, out on rides say 1970 and few year more, plenty stations I could stop, patch a tire and or get a patch free, maybe a nickel or two at best, and install myself You could rely in this fact and mostly, no need to even have tools to fix a flat because only a few ritzy stations like full service 76 wouldn't welcome ya,. Back in the day, and long before me hit the planet, station attendants didn't sit at a window but, pulled two loads, if ya could not, in the least, perform some mechanical repair, up until, IDK say 1978-ish, you no get the job.

That fender was changed out from a bike that was mounted via the previous placement of currently un-used slot and hole. The evidence of it is clearly obvious in your photo.

Why change it? Looks at the grips, man that there is some wear, this bike has been ridden a lot! It's been used and cared for, for many many years. Ah, probably got nicked rear mud guard, bent up and care was continued with, maybe even by Schwinn dealer, who knows or cares for that matter.

Museum quality verses collectible? That depends on subject, Factory glory or relic of the past, depression era, pre-WWII, WWII through, IDK somewhere in the 50-60's. This bike served the owner as a transportation vehicle, loaded with all the equipment very well through the war and far beyond. Heck, a good tune up and it's ready to continue. I couldn't imagine a WWII and Korean vet, not liking and remembering any bike with its set up and durability, be it Schwinn or another. . With it being loaded with best in its class, It's a rolling museum that talks story, takes ya from hard times through the good, just as it is.

Oh, 1 more ting. Ya pulled the seat post out yet, another link. ? The original owner may have slipped paper or receipt in there.

Last edited:
looking at the pictures and chart in 42 it seems pretty common to have mixed braces and using the shielded badges now on the blue bike with caliper brakes wire braces shielded badge I would have to think earlier than this bike i go dig it out of tent pile at my yard get serial number

thanks for info
No problem. @Miq (with contributions from @GTs58) deserves the credit, I'm just passing it along.

Not to drag mud in but the obvious regarding rear mud guard seems to be over looked. The empty slot and hole. It's missing, was removed at some point, a bracket that was set under the fender. There's a rust spot where a washer had been used and compressed it there, around the hole. That's no coincidence, not accidental. The current bracket, copper rivet and the nut, do not have patina that's equal to the other parts on this bike.

@pedals-past I don-a wan-a open a can-o-worms but, your presumption of having a rivet tool to repair this, whelp, yeah works for today's logic but not yesterday. I mean, as example, heck in 50-60's plenty gas stations, plenty all across the US had all kin-a tools that plenty local kids could barrow, or a for a quarter and less, just have repair guy pinch in. Norman Rockwell painted a cover mid or just after WWII classic scene groups hanging around older station. As a kid and all through my teens or, out on rides say 1970 and few year more, plenty stations I could stop, patch a tire and or get a patch free, maybe a nickel or two at best, and install myself You could rely in this fact and mostly, no need to even have tools to fix a flat because only a few ritzy stations like full service 76 wouldn't welcome ya,. Back in the day, and long before me hit the planet, station attendants didn't sit at a window but, pulled two loads, if ya could not, in the least, perform some mechanical repair, up until, IDK say 1978-ish, you no get the job.

That fender was changed out from a bike that was mounted via the previous placement of currently un-used slot and hole. The evidence of it is clearly obvious in your photo.

Why change it? Looks at the grips, man that there is some wear, this bike has been ridden a lot! It's been used and cared for, for many many years. Ah, probably got nicked rear mud guard, bent up and care was continued with, maybe even by Schwinn dealer, who knows or cares for that matter.

Museum quality verses collectible? That depends on subject, Factory glory or relic of the past, depression era, pre-WWII, WWII through, IDK somewhere in the 50-60's. This bike served the owner as a transportation vehicle, loaded with all the equipment very well through the war and far beyond. Heck, a good tune up and it's ready to continue. I couldn't imagine a WWII and Korean vet, not liking and remembering any bike with its set up and durability, be it Schwinn or another. . With it being loaded with best in its class, It's a rolling museum that talks story, takes ya from hard times through the good, just as it is.

Oh, 1 more ting. Ya pulled the seat post out yet, another link. ? The original owner may have slipped paper or receipt in there.
no one ever quoted museum quality .... critics be announced is what we have i agree the rivet is newer and I can believe you can match patina even make it I know an expert however i dont believe this bike even collectible enough in the past for someone to search down one exactly to match in this particular situation as I was talking privately with a collector today about this exact topic the general summary of all this is pretty simple-

The bike basher definition: a bunch old women sitting around in the knitting circle talking smack about the new neighbor that moved ins skirt being to short and all their husbands on saturday morning standing in the front yard drowling over her bent over pulling weeds in her lawn, the according group is jealous for tge attention and the husbands dreaming about someone other than the run of the mill wrinkle case pulling the weeds in their under wear .....

Opinions are like cracks everyone has one is all i was doing was sharing a rare glimpse of Marilyn in a catagory of collections of Roseann .... some people enjoy that version of the national anthem some take their hat off and stand up while its being sung with class ......

In 1978 you were buying gas at a discount at $1.75 at freddie fast gas and they were charging you a quarter to wash your window at the chevron and shell now maybe 1958 or even 68 they fixed your bike tire but assuming ttat 54 in your handle makes you the same age as me either I got alshiemers or you live in the backwoods of some hick town where they still had glass globes on the gas pumps in 1978 ...... but I can appreciate your input but that brace diesnt have a damn thing to do with why i posted the bike ..... it was to show the options that were available in 40-41 on these bikes for the guys who value the catagory ......

something new for you guys to critque - another case of if u got it lets rip the clothes off and see if it has hair ....... I just live for tge cabe

Back