When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

41 Elgin 4 Star Deluxe

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Volksauto

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hi all! I’ve read many threads on this forum for several years but never actively participated but hopefully that is about to change. This place is a treasure trove of valuable information.
I obtained my first balloon tire bicycle! I found this in an antique store and I couldn’t believe my eyes and I had to have it. It’s an Elgin Four Star Deluxe Ladies bike. According to the seller, the year is 1941 but I’m unsure. Pretty sure I can determine that by identifying a letter in the serial number but I can’t seem to find one? If any of you guys can help me out with the correctness and the age of the bike I’d greatly appreciate it.
The bike is pretty rusty but from the looks of it, it’s 98-100% complete with all original equipment and tires.

Ive started taking the bike apart and have begun cleaning things up. Lots of time with 0000 steel wool and the chrome is shining up nicely. Gutted the tank’s electronics and to my surprise no batteries were left in so it was saved from any serious cancer. I tested the bulbs and horn and they still work. So far I threw in a D-Cell for the taillight and got it functional:

There is some ugly gray/silver paint that was brushed over the light assembly that I’d like to remove. Is there a good way in doing so without damaging the original paint underneath?

Again, I’m glad I’m posting here once again. I’ve had a couple of old bikes but ballooners is where my interest really peaks!
94153E08-896A-4E71-AE13-5E7B7CA576A7.jpeg

81FBED8E-4AD1-4B3C-8FBE-71F8B144BF02.jpeg

1C061DDB-98B6-43BC-AE75-1A6A8702A72E.jpeg

Last edited:
To remove the gray paint you may try some lacquer thinner and if that don't get it a product called Goof Off will usually do the trick--gloves and ventilation! The bike looks original, complete, and should clean up nicely. The bike is either a '40 or '41. "32953" is the serial number. Are there any other numbers/letters on the bottom bracket by the serial? Here is one I have. V/r Shawn

Last edited:
I’m not sure, but I think all of these Four Star Ladies Sport models, are considered 1940 models, regardless of when they were actually manufactured.
The bike I’m working on, has a 1939 serial number, and a 3rd quarter 1939 dated Musselman coaster brake, but the model is cataloged for 1940.
The 1941 type model was the deluxe version, that is lovingly called the Miss America.
These appear in the 1940 catalog as well, but I don’t think the Sport model was carried over for the 1941 model year.
Of course, I assume I’m wrong on this, but that is my understanding.
So, I think it’s safe to say, that your bike is a 1940 model.

@Freqman1, I started using some Goof-Off on one of the headlights with some steel wool and all I gotta say is WOW! Stuff makes it seem too easy. But could Goof-Off also damage the original paints?
View attachment 1641483
Try to stay away from any pinstripes and just use enough to get the old paint off and don’t let it sit too long. I use one rag just for thinner to wipe a spot off after I use the Goof Off. V/r Shawn

I starting cleaning the right side of ornamental piece just to get an idea of what cleaning that would be like. It has several paint chips down to the bare metal. The original blue paint seems to be flaking off in some places. It has several cracks in the casting as well. How should I go about cleaning this piece? The Elgin logo will be hard to clean around without burning through the original paint.

Also, is there ways I could repair the cracks? Possibly JB Weld?

Back