When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'45 Dx

-
Believe me, in the past, I eyeballed that bottle of floor finish that lives on the same shelf as the Old English, but played it safe with the Old English as it's the closest thing that I had to Pledge, which was suggested on this site. What I do like about Old English is that it's an oil. But perhaps it's time to experiment a bit, eh? That "Leveling Surfactant" sounds intriguing.

McGuiars Liquid Car Wax. That didn't give me the gloss I was trying to achieve. So I tried two coats of Turtle Wax "paste" wax. Still not happy. I'll keep trying until I get there with possibly some other product. Maybe Patric @hoofhearted could weigh in on if he was being serious when he suggested Pledge furniture polish years ago. I took him to be serious.
Great bike! Another quick suggestion, what I've done once, after cleaning the frame spray a quality rattle can clear coat. Was very happy with results. Good luck with your project!

IMG_0730.jpg

Got this bike all torn apart now. Started with the wheels yesterday, and amazingly, all double butted spokes were removed without too much effort. I soaked 'em in a citric acid bath and all are salvageable. Another soaking today and I'll call it good. But I did lose the cad plating. Haven't decided if I'll clear coat or linseed oil to preserve bare metal. Still experimenting with best way to clean this bike. Not seeing miraculous results on the few test areas with my traditional methods. Think this might be a tough one. Any suggestions besides WD40 and 0000 steel wool on the white in particular?

Edit: Going to go with linseed oil for lubrication on the spokes rather than sealing in potential rust with clear coat.

View attachment 1810848
Hey Boris, I like to use Marvel's Mystery oil on the patina as it preserves the look and gives a low Lustre shine. Good luck with your Dx project. RideOn..

With regard to "It's only original once", I'd like to get some of your thoughts on drilling out original fender rivets. Although cleanup could be done while braces were still in place, it sure would simplify things if the braces were removed. I do have replacement screw on rivets that I could age.

With regard to "It's only original once", I'd like to get some of your thoughts on drilling out original fender rivets. Although cleanup could be done while braces were still in place, it sure would simplify things if the braces were removed. I do have replacement screw on rivets that I could age.
With that bike….leave them in! That’s a piece of Schwinn history

Back