When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'45 Schwinn DX mutt

-

mbstude

Finally riding a big boys bike
Picked up the frame, fork, and chain guard from Nickinator. The intent for this bike is to end up with a simple, reliable, comfortable daily rider.

Have a new alloy wheelset coming with a Nexus 7 speed hub, Fat Franks to mount on them, and Schwinn clamp on front brakes.

b09fe8be8bc107c593ab0c1e01d4ccce.jpg

f17998ba82e639ea835964c3c03729f3.jpg

These are really attractive bikes. I had one I was going to build with a multispeed hub. It was dark red, had the wing tank, and all the accessories. I traded it away for a pre war New World several years ago. Cool bikes, but I just ride the lightweights more.

Nice bullet nose. My first vehicle was a 1951 2R pick up.

Getting close.

Had to get persuasive with the hydraulic press to straighten out the fork.

Wheelmaster aluminum wheels, 7 speed Nexus hub, Fat Franks, modern bb conversion with alloy crank setup, alloy MeetLock pedals, Brooks Cambium C17 saddle. Waiting on new handlebars, and have to install the shifter.

Don't have enough clearance to use the chainguard, though I just ordered a wider crankset to fix that issue. License plate is a '45 South Bend, Indiana plate; a nod to my love of Studebakers.

b1789eb8754365e831582a7581198ecb.jpg

d417f4cbae2aa016cd84bd74cbf7123d.jpg

Last edited:
Getting close.

Had to get persuasive with the hydraulic press to straighten out the fork.

Wheelmaster aluminum wheels, 7 speed Nexus hub, Fat Franks, modern bb conversion with alloy crank setup, alloy MeetLock pedals, Brooks Cambium C17 saddle. Waiting on new handlebars, and have to install the shifter.

Don't have enough clearance to use the chainguard, though I just ordered a wider crankset to fix that issue. License plate is a '45 South Bend, Indiana plate; a nod to my love of Studebakers.

b1789eb8754365e831582a7581198ecb.jpg

d417f4cbae2aa016cd84bd74cbf7123d.jpg
Love the SB plate, my mom was born in Elkhart in 1924 and her brother in 1921, he still lives there in the summer winters in florida

Handlebars were waiting on me when I got in from work.. Went by the shop, buttoned everything up, added and adjusted the shifter, and took it for a ride around the industrial park after dark. Love the 7 speed hub already.. First is great for pulling wheelies. I'll get some pics tomorrow. It's a really sweet riding bike.

Only change at this point will be swapping out the crankset for a wider one (new one will be here next week) and adding the chainguard at the same time. Very pleased with the outcome. :)

Great looking Mutt. Installing the chain guard would definitely make it.

For a resto tip, the nut on the seat post clamp goes on the right side. ;)

Back