When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'45 Schwinn DX mutt

-
Thanks, but I've decided to keep it. I like this bike too much.. It'll just have to sit in the living room while I play with the new toy.

b4eafb217473f628dc701ab785bb4636.jpg

I decided it needed fenders and a better looking headlight.. But I wanted to keep it looking "sporty" and less like a cruiser. I had a set of stainless Wald(?) fenders, so I cut them down and reformed the folded lips on each end.

20170102_140911_zpsg7l6ngpj.jpg

20170102_141013_zps8gkk6nqu.jpg

20170102_141110_zps2niwzbvv.jpg

After a couple of rainy rides and getting the back of my shirt muddy, I ditched the useless cut down fenders in favor of some early '40s fenders with original paint. The maroon doesn't quite match the red, but hey, it's a mutt.

Need to fix that bent fork..

Last edited:
I have that same frame with extra rust. I was thinking about doing something similar with aluminum wheels but found some rusty painted S-2's that matched the patina for $35.00. suddenly the expense of the aluminum wheels was not worth it..

how did you determine the year? mine has a X8.... serial number. I just figure it is 46-48

The front brakes work great, too. The Kool Stop pads are excellent.

I bought the frame from someone here on the Cabe. He had a thread about it trying to determine the year and 45-46 was the final say so, if I remember right. I've never bothered to research it more.

I bought the maroon fenders last week on eBay. They came with a really nice, straight fork. I got it swapped on tonight and that took care of my bent fork issues. Much mo better.

Last edited:
Back