When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

46 Dixie Flyer

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

the tinker

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Digging out the Dixie Flyer. It's got some housepaint graphics painted over the original paint. Going to try and remove. May make a "fenderless " rider out of it. It will be the "rider" for the 4th.
IMG_2409.JPG

could i see a good pic of the badge, i've got a dixie flyer. but have know idea if its a post war or prewar.

I get this bike outside in the daylight today, I will try and post a better photo of the badge. I wanted to get this bike up from the basement yesterday afternoon, but my sump pump went out and my basement is getting wet. I live by a swamp...... After I get the pump replaced :),I'll get the old boy outside and take another photo. The badge is brass. I had a late 50's girls bike that surprisingly had the older Huffman rack on it, that they used during the late forties and early 50's transition to the cheaper "Huffy" versions. This bike had the same style nameplate, but it was cheap aluminum. I don't think it was even riveted on. A neighbor lady gave me that bike for free. It was really nice condition. I brought it to a swap and no one gave it a second look. I wish I would have kept the old style rack that was on it for this one, as I sold the bike to a fellow for 20 bucks to be used as part of a sign.
IMG_2414.JPG

Here's mine.
The seat post clamp is a good tell for pre/post war
back of fork crown should have a date stamp too.
View attachment 830115

Here's a link to my Flyer gallery, it would be pretty funny if she ended up being a post war.
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/prewar-long-tank-huffman-dixie-flyer.119506/

View attachment 830383 Here's the old boy.. Let's hope it is a 46 as I was told. These were the types of bikes I started out with as a kid. I enjoy them,. We rode them hard and had fun! There is no evidence of this bike ever having a tank. View attachment 830384 View attachment 830385

Love the Huffman such nice bikes, yours will clean up beautifully.

Last edited:
Here's a link to my Flyer gallery, it would be pretty funny if she ended up being a post war.
Yours has the same seat post clamp that @the tinker 's does = post war
Here's a pic of my 41 sold awhile back. It's hard to see; the frame is shaped away at the top and the bolt goes through that.
I dig your red Dixie Flyer and think these frames look great without the tank too Dave.
img_9936-jpg.jpg
IMG_8791.jpg

Thank you Mark for the seat clamp I.D. Little things that can help nail down the year a bike was built. I have owned 4 Huffman built bikes from the 40's, always good to learn something that I didn't know. Got the bike on the stand tonight. Going to break it down and grease everything up and see if some of this housepaint that's on it will come off.
IMG_2434.JPG
IMG_2437.JPG

@the tinker I don't mean to hijack your thread, but thought this was worth showing. Although mine is a Dayton badge, it's essentially the same bike.
I don't know if mine's an oddball or what, it has the post war style seat clamp. But what's throwing me off is I've never seen any post war bike with a long tank.
I did look at the link posted by @Scribble and his has the same tank, but it's not original to the bike. @Ridemore also has the same tank, on a prewar bike.
I'm wondering if anybody has seen a post war, original paint bike, with an original paint long tank?
Is it possible they switched to the seat clamp just prior to WWII?

20180429_145055-jpg.jpg

20180429_145126-jpg.jpg

Back