When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

46 Schwinn Attic find

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Dgoldman

Finally riding a big boys bike
Well, it took me a year to find what I was looking for. It's what I believe to be a early post war 46. This bike came from a small town in Pennsylvania. The new owners of the 80 year old house were cleaning it out and going through everything that was left in it. It was a state tax sale because the previous owner didn't pay her property taxes. She was around 80 years old and needed to be moved to an assisted care facility. She had no relatives so the house was sold with everything inside. The new owner went into the attic and their was this bike. Looks to be used very little. Paint is really good, chrome is good, seat is a leather Messinger. It has a tapered kick stand. The front and back tires are the original B.F. Goodrich Standards. They are not cracked and still soft with good tread. Tank is really good with the horn unit and battery tray inperfect condition. A original battery was in it dated 1947. Unbelievably, it still has a charge on it of 1.36 volts. The front fender light has corrosion and ate a hole through one side at the rear (Bummer). Battery tray is corroded so I will need to figure that out. I've been told it has a very un-common tank decal. Super excited to clean up, service and ride.
IMG_4562.JPG
IMG_4568.JPG
IMG_4496.jpg
IMG_4525.PNG
IMG_4562.JPG
IMG_4563.JPG
IMG_4564.JPG
IMG_4565.JPG
IMG_4567.JPG
IMG_4551.JPG
IMG_4563.JPG
IMG_4564.JPG
IMG_4565.JPG
IMG_4567.JPG

IMG_4525.PNG

IMG_4496.jpg

IMG_4551.JPG

Last edited:
Nice bike but I'm leaning more towards '47 though. V/r Shawn
V/r Shawn,

Thanks for your input. I'm hearing a lot that's all over the map. Do you know of any other identifiers? I am going to pull the crank this weekend and see what it says.

Reactions: REC
Wow!
That bike is spectacular!
It sure seems like a lot of the super nice original condition bikes have some sort of battery acid damage.
Keeping a well maintained bike meant having the electrics working at all times, so when the bike got stored, unfortunately, the batteries weren't removed.
It's amazing that the battery in the tank still had some charge left on it.
Too bad the same couldn't been said about the Fenderlight.

Well, it took me a year to find what I was looking for. It's what I believe to be a early post war 46. This bike came from a small town in Pennsylvania. The new owners of the 80 year old house were cleaning it out and going through everything that was left in it. It was a state tax sale because the previous owner didn't pay her property taxes. She was around 80 years old and needed to be moved to an assisted care facility. She had no relatives so the house was sold with everything inside. The new owner went into the attic and their was this bike. Looks to be used very little. Paint is really good, chrome is good, seat is a leather Messinger. It has a tapered kick stand. The front and back tires are the original B.F. Goodrich Standards. They are not cracked and still soft with good tread. Tank is really good with the horn unit and battery tray inperfect condition. A original battery was in it dated 1947. Unbelievably, it still has a charge on it of 1.36 volts. The front fender light has corrosion and ate a hole through one side at the rear (Bummer). Battery tray is corroded so I will need to figure that out. I've been told it has a very un-common tank decal. Super excited to clean up, service and ride.

That’s tragic the lady who couldn’t pay her property taxes lost everything.
Sad indeed,
perhaps the bike was her Rosebud ?

This is why Howard Jarvis should be carved into Mount Rushmore.
No American should ever be forced to lose or sell their property because they couldn't keep up with the inflation rate of the taxation.
Paying a tax based on the market value of something is a scam.
It doesn't matter what it's worth.
You only have that value when you sell it.
Then you can pay the tax on it. Not before.

View attachment 773460 View attachment 773512 View attachment 773458 View attachment 773459 View attachment 773460 View attachment 773461 View attachment 773462 View attachment 773463 View attachment 773464 View attachment 773507 View attachment 773461 View attachment 773462 View attachment 773463 View attachment 773464
View attachment 773459
View attachment 773458

View attachment 773507
Lucky guy...she's a cutie...

Back