When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

46? Schwinn continental

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jim sciano

Finally riding a big boys bike
Super excited that I just scored what I thought/think is a first year schwinn continental. Would love some opinions about that. Either way, this bike should clean up like new. I’m thinking 46 because of the A serial number and the “pencil kickstand”. I was hoping for a sturmey archer hub that wasn’t dated, as they say those are 46’s. But when I wiped away the grease, it says 9 of 47. I’m still thinking that this is a 46 serial that didn’t get put together until 47. Either way I am not disappointed. It even came with the original warranty with the original owners notes on it. He was a very detailed person except for writing down the date. Any thoughts are appreciated. I was never into lightweights until recently and this one has me hooked.

7E6F52E7-F331-481F-A495-03B1B88EE3C4.jpeg

That's a beauty! I agree with you 100%, a late 1947 build. Schwinn pre-stamped the serial numbers on the crank shells prior to being used to build a frame so that BB shell must have been sitting in a parts box for a while. The tapered stand has shown up on some others with 1947 & 1948 serial numbers so it's not just a 46 thing. Have fun getting it cleaned up!

That's a beauty! I agree with you 100%, a late 1947 build. Schwinn pre-stamped the serial numbers on the crank shells prior to being used to build a frame so that BB shell must have been sitting in a parts box for a while. The tapered stand has shown up on some others with 1947 & 1948 serial numbers so it's not just a 46 thing. Have fun getting it cleaned up!
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Can’t wait for it to shine and roll like new

Cool bike for sure!
Congrats!
Yeah, the tapered stand seemed to be used on all of these Continentals.
My 55 Clubman has a tapered stand.

Beautiful bike! Is that the original mount for the Lucifer head light? I've heard these lights were pretty popular in their day, but you don't see them too often now.

Beautiful bike! Is that the original mount for the Lucifer head light? I've heard these lights were pretty popular in their day, but you don't see them too often now.
I’m not sure about the mount. According to the receipt, the bicycle came with the generator set. The twisted mount almost doesn’t look correct but who knows. They had some interesting aftermarket accessories it seems from back then.

I’m not sure about the mount. According to the receipt, the bicycle came with the generator set. The twisted mount almost doesn’t look correct but who knows. They had some interesting aftermarket accessories it seems from back then.
That twisted part looks like ti might be home-made. Maybe he was having trouble getting the light to clear the handlebar.

Back