When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

46972 (1966-68) SpaceLiner found today (10/16/20) New guy here

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Well... Sprayed the bike off and cleaned it up a bit. 5 pounds of oxalic acid, 2 24X1.75 tires, and tubes all ordered.

QUESTION - I was doing some reading and looking at catalogs from this bikes era. The Deluxe model had the entire chrome package while the base and standard (what mine seems to be) had "metallic colored frames and chrome plated fenders". Does this sound correct? Also, did the 66-68 SpaceLiner have the "7" style tank?

QUESTION - I was doing some reading and looking at catalogs from this bikes era. The Deluxe model had the entire chrome package while the base and standard (what mine seems to be) had "metallic colored frames and chrome plated fenders". Does this sound correct? Also, did the 66-68 SpaceLiner have the "7" style tank?
I have that same bike basically; my chain guard is different, missing the center cover on the chain ring, has the JC Higgins tank (was the same color as your fork tips), same Troxel seat with crash rail, same rear luggage rack. My fenders are for 26x1.75" tires, chrome, & use a Murray Stimsonite #15 relector. Was piss poorly painted over an ALL Chrome everything. Unfortunately my chrome is poor all through out most of the frame. Some shines like New & some is "there was chrome there?" Clean the center of your rear Bendix? & see if you have 1 single red band under the crustiness.

Pretty much. Sears catalog for 66. Isn't yours chrome with bit's of paint? The higher end models had the plastic chromed hub cover on the crank and the pleated seats with rail. The chrome frames have been noted as being clear coated also.

1602982563723.png

Last edited:
Sears sold the Flightliners under the JC Higgins brand name up until 1964 when they dropped the JC Higgins name and started marketing the bike as a Sears brand. Same basic frame but painted or chromed, springer fork or regular fork, racks, and tanks.The tanks differed by years as did the chain guards. Basically Daddy was paying more so Sonny could have more bling to show off.

The same basic frame was built by Murray of Ohio on bikes sold by other department stores but had different designs for tanks, lights, and decals. Each store marketed bikes under different brand names. There are two threads on the CABE well worth reading. "The Murray Serial Number Project" and a thread on Flightliners and Spaceliners. The Murray Serial Number project is buried in the general section. Easiest way to find it is to Google the title. The Spaceliner thread is pinned to the top of the Middleweight section.

Welcome to the CABE !!!! If you want to mess with it before the Oxilac acid bath get yourself some WD40 and 00, 000 and 0000 steel wool and have at it. Start with the 00 and work to the 0000 as the rust starts to come off. Take your time......don't go crazy scrubbing with too much pressure !!

Welcome to the CABE !!!! If you want to mess with it before the Oxilac acid bath get yourself some WD40 and 00, 000 and 0000 steel wool and have at it. Start with the 00 and work to the 0000 as the rust starts to come off. Take your time......don't go crazy scrubbing with too much pressure !!
If it's Chrome he doesn't need to worry so much about pressure as mine still had what looks like a clear coat over it aka 90s chevy flaky clear coat / paint problem. In some cases I used Goof Off pro graffiti remover & still had to give it careful hell with a razor blade to get it off.

I have that same bike basically; my chain guard is different, missing the center cover on the chain ring, has the JC Higgins tank (was the same color as your fork tips), same Troxel seat with crash rail, same rear luggage rack. My fenders are for 26x1.75" tires, chrome, & use a Murray Stimsonite #15 relector. Was piss poorly painted over an ALL Chrome everything. Unfortunately my chrome is poor all through out most of the frame. Some shines like New & some is "there was chrome there?" Clean the center of your rear Bendix? & see if you have 1 single red band under the crustiness.

20201017_220203.jpg

Back