When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'47 Hex Tube

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Shawn,
I have joined you guys in the Hex community. Worked out a deal with Mike on this Hex. Now I just have to wait for the arrival.
Any idea on the front fender light? Original or not? I have never seen another one with a light like this.
JKent

Congrats Joe! Like Mike said the headlight is not original. See the pic that Island Schwinn posted. That would be the light you would want to hunt--no easy feat! If you can find a pedestal light for a steel bike they can be modified. The tops and mounting base are reproduced in a high quality resin--see Ebay which means you just have to find a suitable donor body. V/r Shawn

I believe it is but would need a better pic. Revision--After looking closer I believe it is correct but mounted backwards on the fender. V/r Shawn

Last edited:
Is your rack like mine or is it the cheese grater? I believe the '48 had the cheese grater rack. V/r Shawn

i got the bike without a rear rack,then i bought one like yours on ebay.then another member told me it was the wrong one.so i found a cheesegrater on ebay and bought it.it didn't fit and had the frame mounted legs.spedman bought the rack i thought was wrong and i've since picked up another earlier rack.i guess you could call it the rackaround :rolleyes:

I got the Hex Tube today.
I have 26" triple step wheels on front and back but the back hub is a Morrow Skip tooth hub.
The front sprocket is not skip tooth. By looking at the pictures of other bikes the front sprocket is right but the rear hub has been changed. I was hoping I was going to be able to ride it today :mad: Guess NOT!
What should I do? can I just change the cog on the rear hub or will I have to change the whole hub?
Also looking for an Original seat that still has leather on it.
JKent

I don't believe the wheels are correct. I believe they should be standard drop centers. Mine has a ND front and the early (first year?) Bendix rear. These were all 1/2" pitch. The seat on mine (original) is not leather but some sort of synthetic material in a dark red/black pattern. I am hunting one of the acorn nuts for the springer and one acorn nut for the front axle. I have all the chrome cleaned, re-laced the front wheel to a better rim (still need to do rear), need to finish restoring the headlight, and finish the frame polish before I'm riding but it should be a beauty! V/r Shawn

I have 26" triple step wheels on front and back but the back hub is a Morrow Skip tooth hub.
The front sprocket is not skip tooth. By looking at the pictures of other bikes the front sprocket is right but the rear hub has been changed. I was hoping I was going to be able to ride it today :mad: Guess NOT!
What should I do? can I just change the cog on the rear hub or will I have to change the whole hub?
JKent

JKent post some photos! Sounds like you will be in the market for a rear hub. My suggestion is to pick up a ND 2 speed setup. Either that or a Bendix 2 speed manual hub and use the ND shifter and pulley. The cheaper route would be the Bendix 2 speed manual hub. I swapped out my hub for the 2 speed manual version. With a few modification you will be up and running within a day or two at an affordable price.

Last edited:
Actually it sounds like you're in the market for a new set of wheels. In the mean time you could just switch out the rear sprocket which would be the cheapest and easiest option. V/r Shawn

Freqman1 what have you done so far to the bike? Is it assembled yet? Did you replace the gooseneck? Please post updated photos! Inquiring minds want to know and see ;)

Last edited:
Desriable wheels

JKent

You should offer the triple step wheels up for trade for plain drop center wheels. Those wheels are desirable. Mike

Back