When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'47 Hex Tube

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Freqman1 what have you done so far to the bike? Is it assembled yet? Did you replace the gooseneck? Please post updated photos! Inquiring minds want to know and see ;)

Right now I'm polishing the frame. All the chrome shined up pretty good and I'm re-lacing a new set of rims with the old hubs which have been cleaned/serviced. The fork is still at the machine shop-should pick up Weds. I'll post up a few pics this evening of where I'm at so far. V/r Shawn

Right now I'm polishing the frame. All the chrome shined up pretty good and I'm re-lacing a new set of rims with the old hubs which have been cleaned/serviced. The fork is still at the machine shop-should pick up Weds. I'll post up a few pics this evening of where I'm at so far. V/r Shawn

Tell us how are you polishing up the frame? What are you using? Are you doing it with a machine or by hand? What product are you finding that works best for polishing the frame?
Sped Man

Latest Progress

Ok so I'm doing the things I mentioned a couple posts back and attached are some pics of where I'm at. My main focus right now is re-lacing the wheels and polishing the frame.

Polishing the frame-how I do it:
As many of you know these frames were clear coated at the factory. Over time places get worn or nicked and oxidized. The first thing I did was strip the clear coat with a paint remover and thinner. Next I started with a 220 wet sand (all sanding was done wet) on only the areas where there was a nick, scrape, or gouge. A couple of these were too deep to remove but will not be very noticeable when polished. Next I hit the whole bike with 400. For some reason the clear stayed on the tubes pretty well and I could have probably got by with 800 but it was just easier by the time I hit the trouble spots to do everything. Next I went to 600, 800, 1000 and finally 1500. Expect to spend some serious time with your bike if you do this! I'm sure there are a number of good aluminum polishes but I like Mothers mag polish which I do by hand first and then finish with a buffing wheel last. I intend to use Johnsons paste wax to seal it. I've seen this used on polished steel parts and it hold up pretty well. I'm sure some of you have access to better tools or materials and you could skin this cat any number of ways. Also if you have a really nice frame you can go to a finer grit right away and save a lot of time.

The thing I wanted to be careful of, and why I did so much by hand, was that I didn't want to loose the crispness of the edges on the hex tubes which could happen if you get aggressive/careless with power tools. Hopefully only one more set of in progress and then final pics.

Notes about pics; notice the seat and the pattern-not leather, last pic is of 600 with light polish on head tube. Should shine up quite a bit more when finished. Lastly the light you see has a repo top and the main part is from a steel early postwar bike that I will modify (where lines are drawn) to be correct for the Hex Tube. I will do a separate post when I restore the light. V/r Shawn

Attachments

• 1116 - Copy.JPG
    1116 - Copy.JPG
    252.8 KB · Views: 199
  • 1110 - Copy.JPG
    1110 - Copy.JPG
    258.7 KB · Views: 194
  • 1111 - Copy.JPG
    1111 - Copy.JPG
    250.3 KB · Views: 194
  • 1112 - Copy.JPG
    1112 - Copy.JPG
    264.6 KB · Views: 206
  • 1114 - Copy.JPG
    1114 - Copy.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Ok so I'm doing the things I mentioned a couple posts back and attached are some pics of where I'm at. My main focus right now is re-lacing the wheels and polishing the frame.

Polishing the frame-how I do it:
As many of you know these frames were clear coated at the factory. Over time places get worn or nicked and oxidized. The first thing I did was strip the clear coat with a paint remover and thinner. Next I started with a 220 wet sand (all sanding was done wet) on only the areas where there was a nick, scrape, or gouge. A couple of these were too deep to remove but will not be very noticeable when polished. Next I hit the whole bike with 400. For some reason the clear stayed on the tubes pretty well and I could have probably got by with 800 but it was just easier by the time I hit the trouble spots to do everything. Next I went to 600, 800, 1000 and finally 1500. Expect to spend some serious time with your bike if you do this! I'm sure there are a number of good aluminum polishes but I like Mothers mag polish which I do by hand first and then finish with a buffing wheel last. I intend to use Johnsons paste wax to seal it. I've seen this used on polished steel parts and it hold up pretty well. I'm sure some of you have access to better tools or materials and you could skin this cat any number of ways. Also if you have a really nice frame you can go to a finer grit right away and save a lot of time.

The thing I wanted to be careful of, and why I did so much by hand, was that I didn't want to loose the crispness of the edges on the hex tubes which could happen if you get aggressive/careless with power tools. Hopefully only one more set of in progress and then final pics.

Notes about pics; notice the seat and the pattern-not leather, last pic is of 600 with light polish on head tube. Should shine up quite a bit more when finished. Lastly the light you see has a repo top and the main part is from a steel early postwar bike that I will modify (where lines are drawn) to be correct for the Hex Tube. I will do a separate post when I restore the light. V/r Shawn

Nice job with the top tube. I am glad you were able to purchased the lower pedestal light base from a CABE member to replace the one you have. I was about to contact you when I noticed that you rang in for the kill. You were right, it does take a long time to polish but it is definitely worth the time and effort. Your bike is going to look fantastic when done. If you need help polishing that chain guard PM me.

Last edited:
it's coming out real nice.
i broke down and greased the hubs and rode mine this weekend.what a cadillac.can't wait to see more pics of progress.i need the inspiration.

Light Resto

I started the light restoration today. I started with a repo top, a repo lens, and a base and body from a steel frame early post war Monark that was rotted in front. Using the top I marked where I would cut the body and did this with a tin snips and finished with a small grinder. Next I drilled the rivets and took the guts out because I'm going to make this functional. Next I polished the bottom and then applied some JB weld to the bad side. All I have left to do is find me a headlight reflector and paint the body. V/r Shawn

Attachments

• light resto 8 - Copy.JPG
    light resto 8 - Copy.JPG
    239.7 KB · Views: 162
  • light resto 5 - Copy.JPG
    light resto 5 - Copy.JPG
    266.7 KB · Views: 158
  • light resto 3 - Copy.JPG
    light resto 3 - Copy.JPG
    172.1 KB · Views: 158
  • light resto 1 - Copy.JPG
    light resto 1 - Copy.JPG
    219.1 KB · Views: 157
I have been keeping an eye out on ebay for one of the repop light covers and I still have not been able to find one.
Anyone know who it is that sells them?
How to contact them?
Thanks, JKent

Frame Polish

So I finished the frame tonight and will start this week putting the bike back together and hope to do a check ride by the end of the week unless life gets in the way! V/r Shawn

Attachments

• polish2 - Copy.JPG
    polish2 - Copy.JPG
    250.6 KB · Views: 162
  • polish4 - Copy.JPG
    polish4 - Copy.JPG
    263.9 KB · Views: 153
  • polish5 - Copy.JPG
    polish5 - Copy.JPG
    218.1 KB · Views: 162
  • polish6 - Copy.JPG
    polish6 - Copy.JPG