When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

48 spokes and a solid tire...an overkill?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Sven

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Conversion plans for my Schwinn High Sierra to a touring bike are in the planning and development stages . My plans for the rear of the bike include an Axiom Superliner DX rear rack [ weight capacity of 55 lbs] - ( ordered) and 55L Axiom panniers (pending). I will probably put , at the most 40lbs of in the rear plus my weight of +200lbs .
My question CABErs...
Would a 48 spoked wheel and a Tannus solid tire be an over kill?
The solid tire thing is somewhat an after thought.
Maybe just the Tannus tube protector to have a bit of shock absorption.
Tannus-armour-product-image-1.jpg
Or use a Schwalbe Touring tire
41cQziLV8EL._AC_SY200_.jpg

I thank you for your time, cooperation and input.

41cQziLV8EL._AC_SY200__1.jpg

36 should be fine unless you are someone who stays in the seat and hits every pothole! I used to build tandem hub wheels with 48h for touring riders all the time, mainly for riders over 200+ carrying a lot of weight on their bike. An average bike has a 250lb weight limit. I would definitely stay far away from a solid tire.

My touring bike (from the 80s) uses a rear wheel (27") with 40 spokes--common set-up for a fully loaded tourer of that time, I weigh 210 and always ride on Schwalbe Marathons. I haven't ridden loaded with gear in some time, but have never had a problem in the past-- not even "snake bites". 48 spokes and solid tire seem like overkill to me but I'd sure like to know what it's like.

Back