Gloss Sage Green 249094
Gloss Colonial Red 249116
Gloss Clear

5 coats of each color, wet sanded between each coat
5 coats of clear, wet sanded between each coat
Final wet sanded with 2000 grit until perfectly smooth
Polished with polishing compound and
Waxed with Carnauba wax
Note: I purposely leave the rust pitting in the frame (completely remove rust) to show that it is still an old bike with a new paint job.

Total of 15 coats wet sanded between each coat, and tons of patience.

Last edited:

JimRoy

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Jan 8, 2017
Indianapolis
16 days from start to finish. Waiting for the paint to dry took the most time. Danny the Schwinn Freak shipped me a ton of correct part. I still have to paint the rear rack and front light. And I will probably rechrome the handlebars this summer. I have not purchased the tank yet. JimRoy.

Last edited:

spoker

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Mar 3, 2011
Minneapolis, United States
rust-oleum is awesome,makes it affordable to make bikes kool for a small amount of money,takes a little while to dry,small trade off to what the paint companies have done to the price of automative paint,let it dry,give it a light cut and buff and you have a killer paint job,everytime i go to wally world,i stop and look at the new colors,cant beat it with a stick for about 4 bucks a can,this bike is a perfect example

Balloonoob

Finally riding a big boys bike
Jan 24, 2019
Longmont Colorado
I'm sure there are varying opinions on clearcoating these old bikes. It just depends on what your project is. I found last time I rattle can clear coated a bike that very short bursts of spray and moving to different areas as you go vs over and over the same area help with running and drip effect. But if you have good old patina I would not clear coat it. There are wax options but I am not sure how they really work or look.

Balloonoob

Jan 24, 2019
Longmont Colorado
Oh BTW the 48 straight bar is awesome. I saw it and thought what a great color choice...... And then read everyone agreeing with my thoughts. Nice.

Deebo

Look Ma, No Hands!
Feb 19, 2019
Pasadena, TX
its a murray frame i stripped with paint stripper and i painted it, but when i put on clear coat many areas wrinkled. so i sanded it over again and repainted it. waiting a couple days to try clear coat again. its cold at the moment.

Balloonoob

Jan 24, 2019
Longmont Colorado
its a murray frame i stripped with paint stripper and i painted it, but when i put on clear coat many areas wrinkled. so i sanded it over again and repainted it. waiting a couple days to try clear coat again. its cold at the moment.
Start a thread under project rides with pictures. I'm sure you will get some good advice.

Balloonoob

Jan 24, 2019
Longmont Colorado
Jimroy maybe you can provide some more insight since your paint job turned out awesome. The info you provided was great. Patience is key.
Sounds like the rustoleum you used were paint and primer in 1. Did you only use 1 can of each color and 1 of the clear total? Were the entire cans pretty much used up when finished? Was painting and clear coating all done in one day? How long between painting and clear coating?
I found this online. ''you cannot put a laquer base paint or solvent over any kind of enamel base paints. Period.
You can recoat laquer anytime.
You can apply enamel base paints over laquer base paints , but you can never apply laquer base paints over enamel base paints.''
anything worth doing is worth doing right and looks like you got it right.

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture