When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

48 Straight Bar

-
rust-oleum is awesome,makes it affordable to make bikes kool for a small amount of money,takes a little while to dry,small trade off to what the paint companies have done to the price of automative paint,let it dry,give it a light cut and buff and you have a killer paint job,everytime i go to wally world,i stop and look at the new colors,cant beat it with a stick for about 4 bucks a can,this bike is a perfect example

I'm sure there are varying opinions on clearcoating these old bikes. It just depends on what your project is. I found last time I rattle can clear coated a bike that very short bursts of spray and moving to different areas as you go vs over and over the same area help with running and drip effect. But if you have good old patina I would not clear coat it. There are wax options but I am not sure how they really work or look.

Oh BTW the 48 straight bar is awesome. I saw it and thought what a great color choice...... And then read everyone agreeing with my thoughts. Nice.

its a murray frame i stripped with paint stripper and i painted it, but when i put on clear coat many areas wrinkled. so i sanded it over again and repainted it. waiting a couple days to try clear coat again. its cold at the moment.

its a murray frame i stripped with paint stripper and i painted it, but when i put on clear coat many areas wrinkled. so i sanded it over again and repainted it. waiting a couple days to try clear coat again. its cold at the moment.
Start a thread under project rides with pictures. I'm sure you will get some good advice.

Jimroy maybe you can provide some more insight since your paint job turned out awesome. The info you provided was great. Patience is key.
Sounds like the rustoleum you used were paint and primer in 1. Did you only use 1 can of each color and 1 of the clear total? Were the entire cans pretty much used up when finished? Was painting and clear coating all done in one day? How long between painting and clear coating?
I found this online. ''you cannot put a laquer base paint or solvent over any kind of enamel base paints. Period.
You can recoat laquer anytime.
You can apply enamel base paints over laquer base paints , but you can never apply laquer base paints over enamel base paints.''
anything worth doing is worth doing right and looks like you got it right.

Back