When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

48 Straight Bar

-
any tips on applying rattle can clear?
Wait 4-5 days after the final base color coat. Don't sand the base coat just before applying the clear. If you wet sand the base coat, wait another day before you apply the clear. Light coats of clear. Once the clear dries, wet sand with 2000 grit then polish with polishing compound.

Last edited:
its a murray frame i stripped with paint stripper and i painted it, but when i put on clear coat many areas wrinkled. so i sanded it over again and repainted it. waiting a couple days to try clear coat again. its cold at the moment.
You should wait a minimum of 4 days to dry. If not. That clear coat will crinkle. If you get it too thick in areas it will also crinkle. Good luck. JimRoy.

Jimroy maybe you can provide some more insight since your paint job turned out awesome. The info you provided was great. Patience is key.
Sounds like the rustoleum you used were paint and primer in 1. Did you only use 1 can of each color and 1 of the clear total? Were the entire cans pretty much used up when finished? Was painting and clear coating all done in one day? How long between painting and clear coating?
I found this online. ''you cannot put a laquer base paint or solvent over any kind of enamel base paints. Period.
You can recoat laquer anytime.
You can apply enamel base paints over laquer base paints , but you can never apply laquer base paints over enamel base paints.''
anything worth doing is worth doing right and looks like you got it right.

You are correct, enamel and lacquer don't mix.
The paint and primer are different cans. I apply 3 light coats of primer 10 minutes between each coat. I let the primer dry a day or two, wet sand and dry for a couple of more hours. I usually use 2-1/2 cans of paint (each color) for a 26" bicycle with fenders. I usually apply 3 or 4 or 5 light coats of base color waiting 10 minutes between coats. Please note. If the base color goes down smooth, you can apply the clear the same day. I set a 45 minute timer, and apply the clear coat 50 minutes after the final base coat. If you wait longer than and hour, you must way 4-5 days for the base color to dry. If you apply the clearcoat after an hour you will create a CRINKLE CITY.
However if your clearcoat crinkles are small, don't panic you can wet sand them out. Below is a Colson tank I apply 3 coats of clear 45 minutes after the final blue base coat. Don't try to apply clear coat after an hour. Let the base coat dry 4-5 days. The Colson tank is silky smooth. Thank for all the intrest. JimRoy
20190304_194627.jpg

Last edited:
Jimroy, after I clear coat the frame, how long must I wait before I can wetsand the orange peel? Planning to rub compound on it later.

Jimroy, after I clear coat the frame, how long must I wait before I can wetsand the orange peel? Planning to rub compound on it later.
I would wait 2-3 days. Clear usually drys faster than the base color.

Back