When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5 Minutes With Goof-off

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
IMG_5272.JPG
After reading this thread I just used goof off on these rims.

Interesting read here.
I have a friend who has used Easy Off on cast iron.
Rather caustic stuff.
Knowing this, I can only imagine how strong it would be on these old bikes.

Im reading this with the thought of trying some method on a 1953 Schwinn straight bar frame that I have.
I "think" that it is a Hornet.
Some of the original color is present underneath some black overpaint.
It's a dark blue - medium blue two tone with, if I recall correctly, white pinstriping.

Ill take a pic of the frame here shortly.

What would you all suggest?
Start with ______?
any extra steps in between?
End with ______?

Thanx

BAB4D61F-E67E-40CE-ACDA-78CC36A51C8E.jpeg

AA493B6F-68EA-4F0E-B5D5-B16558C16BF3.jpeg

5F5426CA-9AE6-4D86-A9FD-372466BDCF9A.jpeg

CAD840D3-0679-4917-9E04-D984A5722ACD.jpeg

935EB383-539A-4B10-B815-274ABA8566DB.jpeg

Interesting read here.
I have a friend who has used Easy Off on cast iron.
Rather caustic stuff.
Knowing this, I can only imagine how strong it would be on these old bikes.

Im reading this with the thought of trying some method on a 1953 Schwinn straight bar frame that I have.
I "think" that it is a Hornet.
Some of the original color is present underneath some black overpaint.
It's a dark blue - medium blue two tone with, if I recall correctly, white pinstriping.

Ill take a pic of the frame here shortly.

What would you all suggest?
Start with ______?
any extra steps in between?
End with ______?

Thanx
Look around the house and see if a can of Easy-Off Oven Cleaner is hiding in the back of a kitchen cabinet and try it in some obscure place on your frame. Buy a can of Goof-Off and try it. The original finish on your frame was baked on your 53 Schwinn, and either product will not harm it.. The main ingredient in oven cleaner is lye. You are right, it is very caustic and dangerous to use.Goof-Off isn't as strong, but I still would use gloves and caution. Neither product works on all paints, you have to experiment with it. I'd flip the frame over and try it under the bottom bracket. The main problems with stripping a finish is if the person that painted it sanded the original paint prior to painting, or the bike was solid rust. If they scuffed the original finish up with sand paper, your'e screwed. It turns out looking like a mess.
I've used Parks Stripper too, but it tends dull the original finish, and can take off valuable graphics. It's a hit and miss kinda thing, you have to experiment with it. Please post your results
A word of caution, the Schwinns of the 70's graphics were applied differently .Even a cleaner type paste wax will quickly remove them, and so will any of these products

Look around the house and see if a can of Easy-Off Oven Cleaner is hiding in the back of a kitchen cabinet and try it in some obscure place on your frame. Buy a can of Goof-Off and try it. The original finish on your frame was baked on your 53 Schwinn, and either product will not harm it.. The main ingredient in oven cleaner is lye. You are right, it is very caustic and dangerous to use.Goof-Off isn't as strong, but I still would use gloves and caution. Neither product works on all paints, you have to experiment with it. I'd flip the frame over and try it under the bottom bracket. The main problems with stripping a finish is if the person that painted it sanded the original paint prior to painting, or the bike was solid rust. If they scuffed the original finish up with sand paper, your'e screwed. It turns out looking like a mess.
I've used Parks Stripper too, but it tends dull the original finish, and can take off valuable graphics. It's a hit and miss kinda thing, you have to experiment with it. Please post your results
A word of caution, the Schwinns of the 70's graphics were applied differently .Even a cleaner type paste wax will quickly remove them, and so will any of these products

I have some results to post using the Goof Off graffiti strength in a can process.
Above you can see what I had to start with.
I'll add pics in the next post

I have some results to post using the Goof Off graffiti strength in a can process.
Above you can see what I had to start with.
I'll add pics in the next post

Results using 1 can.
Didn't finish the frame but came close with just some normal arm strength...

36C49479-CBCE-434A-B47F-9005F9AF2A17.jpeg

7890FAB4-314F-4C1C-9D18-F131B550C310.jpeg

88EF9BCA-4134-43CF-8B1A-9FDA898E7A52.jpeg

4EA4880C-A494-4AC9-BD5D-CE30A04BDF3C.jpeg

71851193-CADE-485B-8351-62774F6AA638.jpeg

This thread makes me equally as excited as well as terrified to strip the thin overpaint off of my westfield. After close inspection I believe 95% of the original paint and pinstriping is preserved underneath. It will be a long, arduous, but hopefully rewarding project. I love this bike.

IMG_0694[1].JPG

IMG_0693[1].JPG

IMG_0696[1].JPG

Goof off comes in liquid or spray form, simply apply to a soft rag and start scrubbing. Find a hidden spot and test it, if good to go, give it some time and elbow grease. I would wear eye protection and gloves...Smoking may not be the best idea but if you insist, keep your glasses high on your nose so you can protect your eye brows from burning off - people look silly without them

On my 1929 Westfield, which had about 7 layers of black paint over everything, and other layers of paint under it, then the Berkshire Blue, I used a lot of things.

I used easy off, nothing.
Lacquer thinner, right through to the metal.
Goof Off, just wouldn't get through the black paint, whereas the lacquer thinner would, aggressively.
Acetone, well it got a minuscule amount of the black, but I figured it would take about 2 years of non stop work.
Finally, I used Kleen Strip aerosol paint remover, 3 to 5 minutes then immediate bath to remove everything possible.

Ultimately, I had to stop at this step, as now, anything takes it down to the bare metal, and I am happy enough to have enough original paint showing, along with the red highlights old Raymond Buck painted on it sometime in the last 90 years when he had it. As his name is stamped into the stem, I blame him, may he rest in peace. I am still not happy with him, for painting over the bike so many times.

So, until such time as it comes to repainting it, if ever, this is how it will be. I now have 6 coats of carnuba wax on it, and will continue to keep it coated with a high quality wax as long as I have it. Unless I decide to have it painted back to the original scheme by my daughters boss, who does supreme paint work on antique vehicles.

I am kind of fond of the red, white and blue look for now.

20181005_120815.jpg

20181005_120935.jpg

46523979_2098597046846636_8488435615623282688_n.jpg

20190204_161903.jpg

20190226_160929.jpg

20190205_170607.jpg

Back