When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5-Star Jet Rider refurbish

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Polish the chrome or leave alone?

• Make it really shiny

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Thats original factory patina...leave it be!

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
Plans for the headlight are changing. It does not want to come off and is pretty bad inside. Maybe just put a reflector and lens and call it a day.

headlight.JPG

I loved the Columbia split reflectors so much I've tried to work them in to most of my builds. The biggest problem I've had is having a repop's lens turn amber over the years.

Well, I have just finished the 5 Star Jet Rider. A lot of elbow grease and some of the regular kind into this project but the only things replaced and not from the factory are a newer set of US made Carlisle Lightning Darts and the battery tray and reflector/lens in the headlight. The original Goodyears are in decent display condition but a bit too dry rotted on the sidewalls to ride any distance.

As can be seen in the first picture the front brake as like new inside. The hub cleaned up with showroom chrome under all the hardened grease/dirt that was like cement. Rear hub was in similar shape simply needing a good cleaning and re-lube. Clutch discs were like new.

Front Brake insides.JPG

Right side with bench.JPG

Badge and spring.JPG

Front hub.JPG

Last edited:
Amazing job, it looks outstanding! I couldn't have done it better myself!! I'll bet it rides like dream too!! Joe

Amazing job, it looks outstanding! I couldn't have done it better myself!! I'll bet it rides like dream too!! Joe

Rides like a Cadilac. I truly believe that this particular model and year was the pinnacle of all Columbia bikes. The next year they started on the long road of using cheaper components and parts and cutting costs anywhere they could.

Back