When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

50s Western Flyer Deluxe

-

pedalpower17

Finally riding a big boys bike
Does anyone have a Western Flyer catalog from '56 to '59? I've begun restoring this one and in the '52 - '55 catalogs don't see this particular rack, attaching to the seat stays, as opposed to the seat clamp.

Also, I suspect that the original light was probably the red-white Rocket Ray. Any knowledge lent will be appreciated. Happy trails

Full Right Side 2.jpg

Huffy built, and they were the last to use rear facing dropouts, through '58. Serial should date it, and you can narrow your catalog search.

Huffy built, and they were the last to use rear facing dropouts, through '58. Serial should date it, and you can narrow your catalog search.
Thanks, Adam. Serial number is stamped, poorly, on the left rear dropout. Is either 54108621 or 54308621. I don't know anything about Huffman serial numbers, but I'm a little suspicious of the idea that the first two digits, "54", correspond to the year 1954. This is because I do have some images from a couple different 1954 Western Flyer catalogs/brochures and, while most of characteristics (e.g. chain guard, saddle, general paint schemes, fender braces, etc) seem to match, the rack and the fork crown are definitely different. I'm convinced that this is original paint on the bike, and the rack paint is definitely same as fenders and chain guard. So, I suspect the rack is original. Could it be that the brochures/catalogs show a CWC version and mine, being Huffman, is from the same year but slightly different?

54 Catalog.jpeg

Last edited:
Does anyone have a Western Flyer catalog from '56 to '59? I've begun restoring this one and in the '52 - '55 catalogs don't see this particular rack, attaching to the seat stays, as opposed to the seat clamp.

Also, I suspect that the original light was probably the red-white Rocket Ray. Any knowledge lent will be appreciated. Happy trails

View attachment 691500
I just picked up this Western Flyer at the Big3 Swap Meet in San Diego on Saturday. It appears to have the same rack. The serial number stamped on the bottom Bracket looks like it reads MPK1867. It is hard to see anything else on it. I wire brushed it pretty good to be able to make out that much. Any info by anyone is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I just picked up this Western Flyer at the Big3 Swap Meet in San Diego on Saturday. It appears to have the same rack. The serial number stamped on the bottom Bracket looks like it reads MPK1867. It is hard to see anything else on it. I wire brushed it pretty good to be able to make out that much. Any info by anyone is greatly appreciated.
WesternFlyer1.jpg

Back