When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

50's Windsor?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Aluyasha

Look Ma, No Hands!
So there is a bicycle I am thinking about buying but I do not know much about, I was hoping someone on the forum can give me some insight.
The ad said it is a 1955 Windsor bike. It looks to have a pedal brake with I have not seen much on Windsor.
I know I cannot find out exactly what this bike is worth but I need some more info on it to be able to know how much I want to fight for this bike. :)
Here are the photos the ad had:
5L45K25Fc3Ib3M63Lcc9q5b159c0f78391977.gif

5La5E45Ja3Ka3Fa3Ndc9q05d7af4208b91bf4.gif

It appears to me to be one of the Raleigh family of bikes. They (Raleigh) had about a dozen different name brands in England and probably more in other countries beyond England. It is worth what you and the seller settle on for the sale. I have bought a nicer 3 speed versions of that bike for the $25 but that is just me. Seeing where you are from it may be a Canadian built Raleigh. Roger

Raleigh made? No wonder I am drawn to it, I am a Raleigh person. lol
The thing is, I do not know what to offer. It was up on CL last night for $65. Then someone bought it, now it is this new owner I am talking to and he is asking $150. :/

Looks to me like a knock-off of a Raleigh, perhaps Canadian or Indian-made, maybe even Dutch. The fenders are pretty crude in that they're stamped and don't have any rolling/fender ornament. The fork is pretty simple too, without any real shaping. It's also a single speed with no grip brakes. That would all be par for an Indian-made knock off. The foot brake is sort of a Dutch element in there as well. Do the drop outs face front or rear? I would tend to lean towards Indian-made if they face rear, but even that is still somewhat of a guess.

Looks to me like a knock-off of a Raleigh, perhaps Canadian or Indian-made, maybe even Dutch. The fenders are pretty crude in that they're stamped and don't have any rolling/fender ornament. The fork is pretty simple too, without any real shaping. It's also a single speed with no grip brakes. That would all be par for an Indian-made knock off. The foot brake is sort of a Dutch element in there as well. Do the drop outs face front or rear? I would tend to lean towards Indian-made if they face rear, but even that is still somewhat of a guess.

Not sure on the dropouts, these are the only pictures he sent me. They look rear facing to me. :/

Raleigh made? No wonder I am drawn to it, I am a Raleigh person. lol
The thing is, I do not know what to offer. It was up on CL last night for $65. Then someone bought it, now it is this new owner I am talking to and he is asking $150. :/

Pass at $150, that's way high. You can get a nice full Raleigh for that or less.

Pass at $150, that's way high. You can get a nice full Raleigh for that or less.

Yeah I am going to pass. lol
And I have got better bikes for less. I got a 64 Phillips in amazing condition for $10 and recently a 70 Raleigh Sports that looks brand new for $50. :)

If that were a Canadian made Raleigh I guarantee you those fenders would look much different. Here is what a Canadian Raleigh looked like in 1959.

Attachments

• eatons 003.jpg
    eatons 003.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 60
If that were a Canadian made Raleigh I guarantee you those fenders would look much different. Here is what a Canadian Raleigh looked like in 1959.

Yes, it definitely does not look much like a Raleigh product, but more like a lower end brand copying Raleigh-type features. The more I look at it, the more it looks Indian-made to me.

Edit:
http://threespeedmania.wordpress.com/category/windsor-bicycle/

Apparently there was a Windsor bicycle originating in India, complete with that same chainring. These are rodbrake roadsters, but perhaps the same company.

Last edited:
Back