When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

50's Windsor?

-

Aluyasha

Look Ma, No Hands!
So there is a bicycle I am thinking about buying but I do not know much about, I was hoping someone on the forum can give me some insight.
The ad said it is a 1955 Windsor bike. It looks to have a pedal brake with I have not seen much on Windsor.
I know I cannot find out exactly what this bike is worth but I need some more info on it to be able to know how much I want to fight for this bike. :)
Here are the photos the ad had:
5L45K25Fc3Ib3M63Lcc9q5b159c0f78391977.gif

5La5E45Ja3Ka3Fa3Ndc9q05d7af4208b91bf4.gif

It appears to me to be one of the Raleigh family of bikes. They (Raleigh) had about a dozen different name brands in England and probably more in other countries beyond England. It is worth what you and the seller settle on for the sale. I have bought a nicer 3 speed versions of that bike for the $25 but that is just me. Seeing where you are from it may be a Canadian built Raleigh. Roger

Raleigh made? No wonder I am drawn to it, I am a Raleigh person. lol
The thing is, I do not know what to offer. It was up on CL last night for $65. Then someone bought it, now it is this new owner I am talking to and he is asking $150. :/

Looks to me like a knock-off of a Raleigh, perhaps Canadian or Indian-made, maybe even Dutch. The fenders are pretty crude in that they're stamped and don't have any rolling/fender ornament. The fork is pretty simple too, without any real shaping. It's also a single speed with no grip brakes. That would all be par for an Indian-made knock off. The foot brake is sort of a Dutch element in there as well. Do the drop outs face front or rear? I would tend to lean towards Indian-made if they face rear, but even that is still somewhat of a guess.

Looks to me like a knock-off of a Raleigh, perhaps Canadian or Indian-made, maybe even Dutch. The fenders are pretty crude in that they're stamped and don't have any rolling/fender ornament. The fork is pretty simple too, without any real shaping. It's also a single speed with no grip brakes. That would all be par for an Indian-made knock off. The foot brake is sort of a Dutch element in there as well. Do the drop outs face front or rear? I would tend to lean towards Indian-made if they face rear, but even that is still somewhat of a guess.

Not sure on the dropouts, these are the only pictures he sent me. They look rear facing to me. :/

Raleigh made? No wonder I am drawn to it, I am a Raleigh person. lol
The thing is, I do not know what to offer. It was up on CL last night for $65. Then someone bought it, now it is this new owner I am talking to and he is asking $150. :/

Pass at $150, that's way high. You can get a nice full Raleigh for that or less.

Pass at $150, that's way high. You can get a nice full Raleigh for that or less.

Yeah I am going to pass. lol
And I have got better bikes for less. I got a 64 Phillips in amazing condition for $10 and recently a 70 Raleigh Sports that looks brand new for $50. :)

If that were a Canadian made Raleigh I guarantee you those fenders would look much different. Here is what a Canadian Raleigh looked like in 1959.

Attachments

• eatons 003.jpg
    eatons 003.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 60
If that were a Canadian made Raleigh I guarantee you those fenders would look much different. Here is what a Canadian Raleigh looked like in 1959.

Yes, it definitely does not look much like a Raleigh product, but more like a lower end brand copying Raleigh-type features. The more I look at it, the more it looks Indian-made to me.

Edit:
http://threespeedmania.wordpress.com/category/windsor-bicycle/

Apparently there was a Windsor bicycle originating in India, complete with that same chainring. These are rodbrake roadsters, but perhaps the same company.

Last edited:
Back