When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

51 New World

-

rollfaster

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
New project, thinking I might build this as a fenderless since i already have a 53 same color with fenders. Too bad someone sprayed it teal or light green years ago, but another former owner removed most of it. There still is some original dark red left. Also going to replace the 16t rear sprocket(ND) with an easier pedaling 20t one. We’ll see we’re this goes.
556746F0-3E12-411E-9954-5800E52AF870.jpeg

ACB31AB5-EF40-4D1A-89A0-D9E11877E6EB.jpeg

D8E94D6A-37A0-4714-B666-41E65C16F67F.jpeg

So...usually I would leave any original paint on a bike, but since what’s left of it is in such poor condition, I’ve decided to do a repaint on this one. I have no doubt the red was original, but when I stripped of all the paint I see this very odd weld at the BB. Possible that the person that did the welding on the frame was drunk? Never seen such an ugly weld on a Schwinn frame.
9D15FCB9-ECA3-44BD-A6DC-7D3A4BD8CAAA.jpeg

3F0732A4-E08D-47DB-B5F3-13CAE7942760.jpeg

So...usually I would leave any original paint on a bike, but since what’s left of it is in such poor condition, I’ve decided to do a repaint on this one. I have no doubt the red was original, but when I stripped of all the paint I see this very odd weld at the BB. Possible that the person that did the welding on the frame was drunk? Never seen such an ugly weld on a Schwinn frame.View attachment 1048655
View attachment 1048656

Oh I have!

By 1946 Schwinn was EF the complete bottom bracket, chain stays, seat tube and down tubes. @Miq and I were talking about this subject and I was trying to figure out why the post war New Worlds were not all EF. I came up with the reason that the chain stays on the NW were angled verses being straight as they came out from the BB shell like the Ballooners. The NW BB shell would require a new tooling different than the balloon models so the remaining joints that were not EF on the NW's still had to be hand welded. Maybe a whole new group of welders after the war, but I've seen some pretty ugly pre war welds. Only the BB shell and seat tube were EF on these New Worlds.

'52 Traveler welds.
Also, I am pretty sure this is not a "new world" but a Traveler or World Varsity. What was left of your seat tube decal is a Traveler or World Varsity decal. I can see remnants of the globe graphic down at the bottom of the decal. They both had circular new world badges until around '51/'52 then went to winged brass.

IMG_5896.jpg

IMG_5897.jpg

Can't argue with a decal!
Ya, traveler or varsity. Here are some of mine laying around: 1) '52 Traveler; 2) '54 Traveler; 3) '53 Varsity. At that time they all said SCHWINN WORLD on the seat tube. There was also just a "world" model which was the lowest end 26" lightweight. The "new world" would have the hat in the ring decal.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335809022&icep_item=333128249986
Another good shot of a great condition traveler world seat tube decal https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/a...-schwinn-traveler-bikes-ive-ever-seen.154203/

Schwinn World.png

The Varsity was a 1953 entry and it had or should have a winged badge so that's out of the game. Weren't the down tube decals also slightly different on the Varsity? Seems Schwinn was throwing the word World around on these post war lightweights and slapping World badges on the ballooners.

Back