When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

52? Hercules Safety Model

-
I didn't know that stamping would be the serial #. Good to know. Thanks.
Looking back at images of my '53 Coronation model I see that it had the s n on the left drop out. 5 digits and then 2 letters
I've seen a few with 5 digits, but most have 4 digits. What that means, I don't know. And most of them in the '50's had the serial on the left drop-out, and the few pre-war bikes I've seen were also on the left drop-out, but I've got a late '40's Hercules with the serial on the seat post lug, just like yours. I think TI bought the company in 1946, so maybe they tried a different system for a while but then decided to go back. Again, I don't really know.

This bike will get my usual treatment. I will clean it up as best I can and do a complete tune up to all the bearings and surfaces that they roll in. Replace what needs replacing and get it road worthy. I couldn't resist buying this bike at 20$. Just the kind of oddity that keeps me in the hunt.
At $20 that’s a GREAT find! And I’d love to know more about your ‘53 Coronation model (and see pics of it if they‘re available). I just finished a sympathetic restoration of a ‘53 “King” QE2 Coronation model and am interested in similar ones out there.

At $20 that’s a GREAT find! And I’d love to know more about your ‘53 Coronation model (and see pics of it if they‘re available). I just finished a sympathetic restoration of a ‘53 “King” QE2 Coronation model and am interested in similar ones out there.
The guy that has posted the most about the '53 coronation models is @usarnie1. I think he posted three of them at one point. Beautiful machines. Use the search feature at the top you'll be sure to find them. I sold mine at a swap meet this spring. Below is a link to one of usarnie1's bikes and a few pics of the one that I had.

Thanks! I had previously found and read with interest the posts by @usarnie1 here (and maybe in Bikeforums as well? I can’t remember). His bikes are really quite lovely and very nicely restored. Mine still has plenty of patina and shows wear typical of a 70-year old bike with ample use. I had tried messaging usarnie1 with some questions about the Coronation models as he had written about them in a very authoritative manner and I’d not been able to find any other sources of information about them anywhere else. For example he stated that there were three models of the Coronation celebration bikes: the Tourist (like yours), the Queen, and (if I recall correctly) the Royal Prince. Mine, however, is the King and clearly not on his list but most definitely a Coronation model. Alas, I never was able to get a reply from him and believe he may have withdrawn from active participation in the online forums. (Some indication from another message posted that it might have been due to health issues?) in any event, I’m still searching for any additional information on these particular models. Like you, I’m attracted to these somewhat unusual bikes, though definitive sources of info about them are hard to come by. Here are a few pics of my own Herc Coronation model, still a work in progress though 90+ percent done.

"""The "safety" models were a line that Hercules advertised as having 26 inch wheels and a lower frame, so that you could put your feet on the ground when stopping the bike without leaving the saddle."""

if you can touch the ground while sitting on the seat your seat is too low for efficient pedaling.

Thanks! I had previously found and read with interest the posts by @usarnie1 here (and maybe in Bikeforums as well? I can’t remember). His bikes are really quite lovely and very nicely restored. Mine still has plenty of patina and shows wear typical of a 70-year old bike with ample use. I had tried messaging usarnie1 with some questions about the Coronation models as he had written about them in a very authoritative manner and I’d not been able to find any other sources of information about them anywhere else. For example he stated that there were three models of the Coronation celebration bikes: the Tourist (like yours), the Queen, and (if I recall correctly) the Royal Prince. Mine, however, is the King and clearly not on his list but most definitely a Coronation model. Alas, I never was able to get a reply from him and believe he may have withdrawn from active participation in the online forums. (Some indication from another message posted that it might have been due to health issues?) in any event, I’m still searching for any additional information on these particular models. Like you, I’m attracted to these somewhat unusual bikes, though definitive sources of info about them are hard to come by. Here are a few pics of my own Herc Coronation model, still a work in progress though 90+ percent done.

View attachment 1488430

View attachment 1488431

View attachment 1488432

View attachment 1488433

View attachment 1488434

View attachment 1488435
Beautiful machine. Haven't seen that model. Thanks for sharing. Great shape for it's age.

View attachment 1488430

View attachment 1488431

View attachment 1488432

View attachment 1488433

View attachment 1488434

View attachment 1488435
I see you're in Virginia, is that the Hercules King that was on FB Marketplace in Pennsylvania earlier this year? I noticed it because I hadn't seen that model before either. If it's the same bike, you've done an excellent job on the clean-up! Thanks for the pictures!

I see you're in Virginia, is that the Hercules King that was on FB Marketplace in Pennsylvania earlier this year? I noticed it because I hadn't seen that model before either. If it's the same bike, you've done an excellent job on the clean-up! Thanks for the pictures!
Thanks for your comments! It was listed on FB and I picked it up last May, but from a guy in New Jersey, the Camden area. It was quite a mess when I got it, and I had to replace a bent handlebar stem (thanks to fellow CABEr Jeff Rowse!) along with all the rubber bits (the front tire was petrified) and remove a lot of red reflective tape on frame and fenders. But overhaul/cleanup went smoothly and it was a fun project. Still need to do some more tweaks and finishing touches, but it is an interesting (and unusual) bike that rides quite well.

This bike is back on the road. I used as many of the parts that I could but the grips were shot and I replaced the shifter and cable. You might notice that the cable has a zig-zag run. The only good one that I had was a bit too long for standard run under the chainguard. Also I have the guard lower than previous position. I found some new springs for the rod brakes on the www. I chose the white grips and seat to match the tyres. I think they look good together. My desire to have shiny paint caught me erasing the ghost image of "Safety Model" on the seat tube. 😢 I'm not the best at remembering the delicateness of these silk screened letterings. Overall I am real happy with it. It rides nicely and I enjoyed the process.... well maybe not all the Evaporust soak and scrubs but the end result more so. Threw on a dropstand as these rod brake bikes can be tricky to fit a regular stand onto. Luckily the chunky square reflector held my small knotted bungee cord (era appropriate? 🙃 haha). Finally found a fitting home for my Lion bell.
Also, can anyone tell me where to find a small band for the plate

Last edited:
Dyno Hub on the front should have a date on it .
Hercules are hard to date .
Nice to see you posted the serial number as it will help others date their bikes .

Back