When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

52 Monark - Need advice

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

wheelman21

On Training Wheels
Hi everyone. I'm new here and new to the vintage bicycle world. I recently inherited my grandfather's 52 Monark. He passed away a few years ago. He never had a lot in life and took a lot of pride in his bicycle when he was younger. My original plan was to do a full restoration, repaint, new chrome etc. Well I've decided against that. I want to keep it original and basically clean it up to the point it was when it put it in storage decades ago. I want to preserve the "scars" and character. The nicks in the paint, the dings, the scuffs in the handlebars. I cleaned up the chrome by hand and removed a lot of the corrosion, while preserving the character. My issue right now is the wheels. They are hands down the worst. I've worked on cleaning one by hand with steel wool, but it's seriously tough sledding. And the chrome is extremely pitted. I'm really torn on what to do here. I'd really like to use them since they are the original. I can have them powdercoated, I can replace them (least preferred option), or if anyone has any better suggestions I'm totally interested. I'll try and add some pictures but the forum doesn't seem to like them for some reason. I'm open to suggestions!

First just point out some things-the bike was repainted back in the day and the tank, rack, and headlight are missing. A couple of options on the rims-unlace them and just buff the metal out and put a light coat of paste wax on them and they’ll be good for years. Second option is these wheels are common and you could probably find a decent rider set for under $75 if they don’t have to be shipped. I would not powder coat-I’d just do some spray can chrome before powder or paint them a solid color. That’s my 2c V/r Shawn

First just point out some things-the bike was repainted back in the day and the tank, rack, and headlight are missing. A couple of options on the rims-unlace them and just buff the metal out and put a light coat of paste wax on them and they’ll be good for years. Second option is these wheels are common and you could probably find a decent rider set for under $75 if they don’t have to be shipped. I would not powder coat-I’d just do some spray can chrome before powder or paint them a solid color. That’s my 2c V/r Shawn

I knew it was missing a few things. My interest in this bike is really 100% sentimental, which is why I'm trying to use as many original parts as possible. I think the first thing I'll do is unlace them and try that. Hopefully I can get them re-laced. I've never done it before but that's what youtube is for I suppose.

If a 52, (check plate on bottom, the upper spring mount is earlier then 52). Those drop center wheels are actually the wrong ones anyway. You might try finding a set of flat Lobdell's like what would have come on the bike originally.

Back