When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

52 Monark super deluxe fork help

-

57 spit

Look Ma, No Hands!
I think im missing these front fork retaining washers. Does anyone know where to get a pair, or of a good hack?
Thanks!

443F64D3-81FC-4B7C-B744-7DA6AE7DF612.jpeg

If you're missing them , so is everyone else. 1952 was the last year for the double springer on the Super Deluxe and I have never seen those on any of the many dual springers Iv'e owned. They did not use them on truss rod models either, because the truss rod ends are closed and serve the same function. Maybe Chester , the Monark Man, will know....

FF8345EF-9C89-4A39-8555-8A79D5BC5DA8.jpeg
0764AEDE-9A95-4E7C-8849-B26D54D17E71.jpeg
If you're missing them , so is everyone else. 1952 was the last year for the double springer on the Super Deluxe and I have never seen those on any of the many dual springers Iv'e owned. They did not use them on truss rod models either, because the truss rod ends are closed and serve the same function. Maybe Chester , the Monark Man, will know....
Shoot. So nothing special to keep wheel from dropping out? Looks like I have ghosting from those. I could have the year wrong. Most images I can find have the dropout facing forward, mine seems to want to face down. Also my rubber washer/spacer setup on top of the fork is tweaked so maybe that’s messing with the geometry? Is it a girl bike thing?
Thanks!

View attachment 802754 View attachment 802748
Shoot. So nothing special to keep wheel from dropping out? Looks like I have ghosting from those. I could have the year wrong. Most images I can find have the dropout facing forward, mine seems to want to face down. Also my rubber washer/spacer setup on top of the fork is tweaked so maybe that’s messing with the geometry? Is it a girl bike thing?
Thanks!

There are two types of rockers, it looks like you have the older ones used from the late 30's and 40's. The newer ones [late 40's -50's are angled.. I have some of those loose [both types] . I would post a photo for you, but I can't find them.
I have always liked the look of the Monark double spring fork, but basically it was junk. They look great but as far as riding them, there are problems. Iv'e had a whole bunch of them and they go out of wack real easy. Monark used mild steel in the construction of their forks and did not heat treat it. The steering tube is weak and easily bends. The forks are weak and easily bend. The springs tend to twist as the two rods that hold them get , as you say, "Tweaked easily."
These forks looked good, but because of problems Monark company bought a Schwinn springer bicycle in 1952. They mounted the Schwinn stationary at waist height on moving, offset rollers and observed exactly how the Schwinn fork worked.
In 1953 they came out with their version of a better fork, which was a copy of Schwinn's design. Schwinn threatened to sue Monark and they had to discontinue their new fork.

Last edited:
There are two types of rockers, it looks like you have the older ones used from the late 30's and 40's. The newer ones [late 40's -50's are angled.. I have some of those loose [both types] . I would post a photo for you, but I can't find them.
I have always liked the look of the Monark double spring fork, but basically it was junk. They look great but as far as riding them, there are problems. Iv'e had a whole bunch of them and they go out of wack real easy. Monark used mild steel in the construction of their forks and did not heat treat it. The steering tube is weak and easily bends. The forks are weak and easily bend. The springs tend to twist as the two rods that hold them get , as you say, "Tweaked easily."
These forks looked good, but because of problems Monark company bought a Schwinn springer bicycle in 1952. They mounted the Schwinn stationary at waist height on moving, offset rollers and observed exactly how the Schwinn fork worked.
In 1953 they came out with their version of a better fork, which was a copy of Schwinn's design. Schwinn threatened to sue Monark and they had to discontinue their new fork.
interesting. I definitely have a 52 based on the tank, pedals, train light etc. someone must of pieced together the rockers if they truly were only on the 30s-40s. thankfully, my forks are straight, its the rods inside the springs that are tweaked. Thanks for the info.

Tinker; i agree and all those shoulder bolts were a pain in the butt, hope this helps Richard....

Last edited:
57 spit; do you have shoulder bolts on the front dropouts? that might be the problem? the springer won't do any thing w/ out them! Richard....

57 spit; do you have shoulder bolts on the front dropouts? that might be the problem? the springer won't do any thing w/ out them! Richard....
I do not. It came with new hardware store machine bolts. I will replace them. Thanks for the heads up!

Back