When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

52 Schwinn but what model?

-

Lee862

Look Ma, No Hands!
It's a 52, but I know nothing about any Schwinns besides Stingrays.
Screenshot_2020-09-20-09-48-13.png
Screenshot_2020-09-20-09-48-31.png
Screenshot_2020-09-20-09-48-44.png
Screenshot_2020-09-20-09-48-51.png

Not the biggest expert on the CABE, but it looks like what's left of a Corvette or Jaguar II. It might still have its original stainless fenders but, dang, it looks like it's been taken apart and put back together 5 times. Wrong nuts and bolts, seat, bars, maybe rims(can't see if those are S7's or not). Stuff missing. It looks like someones rat bike, set up for comfortable cruising. I wouldn't pay $200! You can buy a NICE original middleweight for that.

Last edited:
@crazyhawk is correct. This is what the industry would call a Frankenbike. First of all, it's not a 52. Middleweight bikes did not appear until 1955. In 1952, the serial number would have been on the bottom bracket, not the dropout, those are not Schwinn wheels, incorrect seat, and Schwinn middleweight bikes did not come with those handlebars. Middleweight frames are all the same. The model was determined by what accessories were hung on it - racks, lights, whitewall tires, chrome or painted fenders, chrome or painted wheels. This bike could have had a 5 speed rear hub. It appears that the front fork is the fork that would have been used for hand brakes. If that's the case then it would have had hand brakes on the rear. Hand brakes on the rear would have meant multiple speed rear hubs. This bike might be worth $50 for parting out.

I was going off an Angelfire site for the year. The Bike History says this number was used twice.
Screenshot_2020-09-20-11-22-12.png

Thanks for the info! I thought if it rode nice and I could get it for less than $100, it might be worth it.

I looked at Angelfire and came up with 1958. But, I have no idea what the character is that follows the B. What's your best guess?

If you look in the Project Bikes thread, I posted "Frankenschwinn." I bought a 63 Schwinn Traveler (lightweight) for $20, sold the wheels for $100, kept the seat and pedals for a different project. I then took the seat and wheels from a Chinese schwinn I bought for the tires, handle bars, and rack; and threw the alloy wheels, seat and pedals from the Chinese on the Traveler. It's a really fun bike to ride but is only worth the price I could get for the parts. I like it because it's a stripped down lightweight and it rides on middleweight tires.

Last edited:
Geeze! ...........................................

1. The serial numbers changed locations from the bottom bracket to the drop out in 1952. Angle fire has that info messed up having both for 1952
2. No B numbers in 1958!
3. The B numbers were used in four different years when they were stamped on the drop out, 1952 - 1953 - 1956 - 1957
4. The middleweights were first produced starting in mid-1954 and they were in the stores and on the streets in June/July of 54.
5. Middleweight frames were not all the same! There were at least 5 different frames! Cantilever, straight bar, single bar, Twin bar, Continuous twin bar etc.
6. Five speed middleweights were only produced in 1961 and 1962.

The model of that bike could be one of many. Hopefully the chain guard is original and the decal with the model name can still be read. That serial number was stamped 08/16 ... 08/17/1956.
That original list on Angle Fire is also flawed with numerous type errors etc. so there will be times you'll have to study the numerical placement and number of digits when they started and stopped using 6 numbers during the late 40's early 50's.

In 1956, that middleweight cantilever frame with the front fork provision for a hand brake pivot bolt could have been a Corvette, American, or Tiger.

Back