When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'53 Schwinn Continental 9 Sp.?

-
I believe so, yes - that quadrant runs to the Cyclo, and a handlebar shifter runs to the SA 3-speed hub. It produces the "hybrid" type gearing where you go 3 x 3. I love that shade of green and the ornate pinstripes.

I believe so, yes - that quadrant runs to the Cyclo, and a handlebar shifter runs to the SA 3-speed hub. It produces the "hybrid" type gearing where you go 3 x 3. I love that shade of green and the ornate pinstripes.
Noticed this was drug up from 2016. Wonder where it is now.
The first thing I noticed was the spring and derailleur. Been staring at one of those lately. Definitely looks like a later version of my cyclo set-up.
Very cool bike.

Crazy, I recently came across one of these that wasn’t for sale....

Nice.
Expand and look at that derailleur up close.
It reads 46 at the top and B ham patent.
Version 46? and "Birmingham patent"
It is the English made version of the French Cyclo derailleur set-up.
Mine is exactly the same on my Armstrong but with an earlier version #. My attachment bracket is a bit different. This one also has a shifter more similar to mine than the OP's bike which seems much later and looks more like an SA quadrant shifter.
The two cables actually push and pull instead of just pullling and having a spring action for return.
The spring underneath is just for the chain gather to keep the chain tension.
The gears must need a more narrow SA 3spd hub.
I love seeing these cyclo pics popping up.

Last edited:
Pouring over the pics I see a lot of cool info.
The hub is dated 49' Im' not sure about the "46" on the derailleur but if that is the date and not the version, then the derailleur might have been added later. A little evidence of this is that if you look at the rear drop out. there are serrated washer marks there and no serrated washer.
Alot of questions and not many answers but the more pics seen the more it willl come together.
I actually hope the 46 isn't the date. Mine is stamped 41 which would disappoint me a little.
Also the pedals are marked Philllips and a short trip to GB Ebay shows a NOS pair for sale.
Hmmmm.

Noticed this was drug up from 2016. Wonder where it is now.
The first thing I noticed was the spring and derailleur. Been staring at one of those lately. Definitely looks like a later version of my cyclo set-up.
Very cool bike.
It's an old thread, but @ace is still a current member. At first glance I thought that quadrant was a Sturmey-Archer, but the more I looked at it, the more I realized it's something I've never seen before. Hopefully he's still got it, and can tell us more.

Back