When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

54 Phantom, anyone have a bike they’ve struggled to love?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

sworley

I live for the CABE
I’m kind of a particular guy. I don’t like bikes too rough or too perfect and they have to be original paint. On paper, I should love this highly original bike but it’s just missing something... I’m hoping I can fix that, the likelyhood of finding another bike like this locally is rare.

This bike came from Lincoln, NE via an Ottumwa, Iowa auction this past spring. I have already gone though the bike completely but have some new tires coming and would maybe like to get the horn and headlight working again.

Maybe with those changes I can find a spark.

E6F50AD2-4B44-4CEC-BEE6-DAC239939FD6.jpeg

77C90493-CCF0-4C63-95D7-EB5C0557F6DE.jpeg

461E906A-2485-4B61-829D-6EFDB63BFEB4.jpeg

... I worked my butt off on this '52 red Phantom that a buddy more less gave me with a pile of parts ... Stripped off all the black paint from the frame and rear fender ... Did and OA acid soak on the rusty chrome ... Greased everything ... worked my arse off bringing the rusty frozen chain back to life ... Never could get the seat post to move ... so I ended up having to ride it with a low seat ... It was literally a PIA with the bare seat pan ... Finally had enough and brought it to the Memory Lane spring bike swap and found someone who loved it alot more than I did! ...

Nice looking bike. Maybe some greenwall tires or just plain black?
Hammerhead

Thanks! I have some dark brown Felt Quick Bricks coming tomorrow. More often than not, new shoes really help improve my outlook on a bike. Hoping for great results!

I may also take another stab at brightening up the rims while I'm at it. I have rarely met Schwinn chrome that doesn't come back but so far this one's been a dud.

2020-05-18_1014.png

Last edited:
@sworley it's usually Schwinns or cantilever styled frames BUT I have started to like both a little more once I bought a '65 Western Flyer $10 klunker and a woman's Schwinn Cruiser 7 for for $75 for my girlfriend. I preferred tank bar bikes, trikes & choppers/customs in that fashion. Maybe it's because you like Original and can't find a happy medium in that aspect. I love a restored look but like seeing those true survivors that show some of it's history & testifies it's quality

This I want to just clean up and make a rider for my mom but I haven't really messed with it because I normally don't do originals ....albeit this is the nicest 1 I have owned so far. Guess if the budget was bigger that could change
20200116_140223.jpg

If it was mine, I would add a forebrake and re decal the chain guard. Having said that,I think the bike is really nice just the way it sits. You might be better off in the long run just selling it. Anything you do to the bike will probably not make you happy in the long run.

If it was mine, I would add a forebrake and re decal the chain guard. Having said that,I think the bike is really nice just the way it sits. You might be better off in the long run just selling it. Anything you do to the bike will probably not make you happy in the long run.

Yeah, I definitely considered that, especially before I bought those $$$ tires but as I said, a bike like this does not come around here easily and I have a horrible habit of selling bikes too cheaply (lose money on them) regret it and then pay more for a like replacement. Figured new tires might be cheaper in the long run...

Forebrakes are cool but I don't see that being needed here in flat central Iowa. I am hoping to salvage that chainguard decal using light, targeted applications of rubbing alcohol. The black paint over it is crappy stuff.

Back