When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'55 B F Goodrich Schwinn.... Spitfire?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

3-speeder

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I have this Schwinn cantilever frame bike with a Spitfire chainguard and I am wondering if it is actually a different model. From what I've seen the Spitfires had straight bars not cantilever. Question is did the B F Goodrich Spitfire come as a cantilever frame? There are some other mismatched parts so it wouldn't surprise me if it was another model. Maybe a Wasp? What do you think? Serial number looks like R48648, maybe R49648
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I know there were middleweight canti Spitfires a couple years later. The BFG bikes did have their own model names for a while, it does look like a wasp otherwise!

I have the same bike in black and white. Lots of canti spitfires out there and the bolt on kickstand is consistent with the spitfire theory as well. It was a lower end model. Cool bike!

The 1955 Spitfire was a ballooner. In 1956 the Spitfire was offered as a ballooner and a middleweight and the straight bar bike illustrated in the catalog is the ballooner. 1957 and later it was offered as a middleweight only. I think your serial number starts with a B, bottom half missing, so that explains the cantilever frame along with the S-7s.

01/18/1957 ------------------ B31410 ------------------- B56170

The 1955 Spitfire was a ballooner. In 1956 the Spitfire was offered as a ballooner and a middleweight and the straight bar bike illustrated in the catalog is the ballooner. 1957 and later it was offered as a middleweight only. I think your serial number starts with a B, bottom half missing, so that explains the cantilever frame along with the S-7s.

01/18/1957 ------------------ B31410 ------------------- B56170
Thanks. Good information. Sure could be a half a "B"

Back