When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

55 Hawthorne Deluxe Ready To Ride (FINALLY)

-
Really sharp bike, it has a lot of interesting details. Looks like a nice rider too.
The turn signals and 2 speed Bendix rear are both firsts for my collection, as is the 6 volt lantern battery in the tank, and front struts AND a springer. Complicated I would think for 1955. Tomorrow is the first ride and I can't wait!

That's about as deluxe as it gets. Beautiful.
$68.95 in 1955 must have been a small fortune, and I'm guessing most kids got Schwinn bikes or bikes from Sears or Western Auto. Montgomery Wards always played second fiddle to Sears. They were trying a little harder, and I think the equipment on this bike kind of reflects that. Just my take.

I love that its original and the colors are awesome!
The front fender was repainted at some time, but the rest is OG. I think the brown metallic is a 55 only color, not sure about that though. Brown isn't a real flashy or showy color, but the cream stripes and fender tips contrast nicely!

Happy Sunday! 35 and sunny, great day to take the 55 Hawthorne Deluxe for it's maiden run around town! Happy to report that the bike rides very smoothly, and the 2 speed rear shifts flawlessly. The ride is what you would expect from a two year old bike! I hope you enjoy the first "outdoor" pics as much as I did taking them. Indoor pics are never as good, but prior to today I had no choice!
100_3660.JPG
100_3661.JPG
100_3662.JPG
100_3663.JPG
100_3668.JPG

I have the same bike. The 1955 Hawthorne is my favorite cruiser, rides like a Cadillac. I love the color, I have been told its
called Metallic Brown and white and it was the only year that color was offered. Its great to see another survivor out there.
Its a sweet bike with a sweet ride

Back