When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

56 Traveller Violet

-
Another thing to consider is that brake parts from Weinmann, Phillips, and Schwinn were all available at the same time for a period in the mid 1950s. Apparently there was at least some overlap in the brake equipment being used for a time. Perhaps the transition from Schwinn to Phillips to Weinmann was not entirely clean, with bikes of the same year sometimes showing up with different brakes. Of the three brake types, the Schwinn Built are the most collectible, though the Weinmann 810s probably functioned the best of the group.

1700594002444.png

Did any have GB brakes? My first bike was a 1954? Traveler, bought used in 1959. It had a Brampton hub. Seems like I remember GB brakes.
It got stolen in the 1970's and due to my determination I recovered it, but alas, many parts missing. My bucket list to make it authentic green again.

Another thing to consider is that brake parts from Weinmann, Phillips, and Schwinn were all available at the same time for a period in the mid 1950s. Apparently there was at least some overlap in the brake equipment being used for a time. Perhaps the transition from Schwinn to Phillips to Weinmann was not entirely clean, with bikes of the same year sometimes showing up with different brakes. Of the three brake types, the Schwinn Built are the most collectible, though the Weinmann 810s probably functioned the best of the group.

View attachment 1941683
Interesting. The Schwinn levers were used with the early American middleweights with the "rim" brakes until at least 1956, as compared to the calipers which were only for lightweights. That must have been due to the "all American parts" that they advertised for the American, otherwise they could have just used the Phillips levers. That also lists parts for the New Departure Twin Streak. Did Schwinn ever use that hub? Maybe they just considered it?

Last edited:
Back