When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

57 Hercules Tourist (any value?)

-

walter.lacey

Look Ma, No Hands!
I picked up what I believe to be a 57 Hercules Tourist a long time ago, because it was in immaculate origional condition. This was actually the first bike I bought that got me into collecting old bikes. Is there any value in these foreign bikes?

20220917_183324.jpg

20220917_183401.jpg

20220917_183418.jpg

20220917_183411.jpg

20220917_183453.jpg

Not a lot. There are a few members here who collect the English lightweights and they make good, basic transportation. Unfortunately not a lot of value in these.

Last edited:
This was the basic Hercules utility model in the '50's and is still relatively common, so not a grail bike, but a good bike for someone who wants something vintage and a little different. Condition counts for a lot on these and this one looks better than most. I'm curious if there are any markings on the rear hub, most of these frames came with Hercules hubs, but according to Grace's Guide to British Industrial History:
"1956 Tube Investments made 1,250 employees of the British Cycle Corporation redundant, following deadlock with the unions, who refused to reform working practices. Many of the workers were from Hercules factories"
The Hercules bikes I've seen after 1956 have different frame lugs than yours and the Hercules-built hubs were replaced with rebranded Sturmey-Archers, so if yours is from 1957 it must be one of the last.

It is Birmingham Hercules from before the merger with Raleigh. It's desirable if you collect Birmingham brands, or Hercules from before the merger, but not worth a lot of money as a general thing. The condition and completeness are generally good. It has 1970s pedals on it and a newer water bottle holder. It looks like a nice color. Verify the fork straightness before riding. It could be the photo, but it looks like it may have a forward bend just below the shoulder. Check just to be safe. Nice bike.

Back