When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'57 Jaguar cable roller

-

Packardbarry

'Lil Knee Scuffer
:confused:Picked up a real nice original 57 Jag yesterday. Org paint - tires - seat -etc. The idler roller for the 3 speed cable is mounted on the vertical seat tube normal above the horizontal bar - not below, which seems to be standard location. There is no sign in the pristine original paint of it ever being below so im guessing it was factory installed above. Has anyone ever seen this before? Maybe some cables came to long and this was their fix.

I believe that is correct for 1957. It was mounted above to clear the tank. In 58? or 59? they had notches in the tank on the 3 speed Jaguar so the cable would go through the tank and the roller would be mounted below.

If you need a little wheel for the cable, I have one. Its grey and was for a Sturmey-Archer 3-speed.

Found this yesterday http://www.flickr.com/photos/33350670@N08/4227587684/in/set-72157623098731122 which shows it mounted above the horizontal so i guess its factory. Bike was built Jan. 57 so maybe this was the way they were for the first runs. Think ive seen them 3 ways now.
A. This way
B. NO hole in tank - Bare cable gets dropped thru the tank and out the bottom with roller below the horizontal.
C. Hole in the tank and cable is strung thru it with brake cable.

Back