When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'57 Lenton Grand Prix project

-
I was just looking at ordering new front light how do you like the CYGOlite brand. I was using NiteRider before but I am considering CYGOlite .

I was just looking at ordering new front light how do you like the CYGOlite brand. I was using NiteRider before but I am considering CYGOlite .
We have a Cygo Hot Shot tail light on every bike here, and we each have one Cygo Explion 750 that we move between bikes.
They charge with USB and I use my PowerAdd 24Ah and 10Ah power packs to charge them. (take the power to the bike and charge head- and tail-light at the same time)
They will run over 4 hours on High and for a weekend on medium. The Explion also offers a spare battery you can charge and bring along. They are excellent lights, and for me at least, make dyno systems obsolete.
If I wanted to tour for a week with them, my 24Ah PowerAdd will cover it
http://shop.cygolite.com/category.sc?categoryId=70
https://www.ipoweradd.com/collections/power-bank (also run cell phones, tablets and laptops)
aaKIMG0036.jpg

ps, the Cygo headlights are also the greatest flashlight you ever wanted around

pss - just got a UPS tracking notice - my hubs are coming tomorrow

Last edited:
I can't believe it - almost done - my hubs are here (wheels should be ready Saturday)
aP4110006.jpg

they glide in the 8mm slots, and the washer has a shoulder that exactly matches the RD hanger
aP4110009.jpg

So in the meantime, I got my chainguard in final position.
aP4120001.jpg

aligned it so I have just a business card thickness clearance with the crank arm all the way around
aP4120004JPG.jpg

the threaded arm that attaches the front has a nut on each side of the clamp, so tightening one and loosening the other lets you align it like a piston.
also, the two pivot points in my Z-bracket affect vertical alignment, and it it took a few gyrations of the system to dial it out toward maximum FD travel.
aP4120002a.jpg

Last edited:
Not much clearance between the crank arm & chain guard. It will be interesting to see if you get enough flex under hard pedaling that they hit.

I've actually been bench testing that on the turbo trainer, it's possible, but doesn't seem to be a problem - as long as it skips and doesn't grab the guard on the way up, which I can't produce. I will probably also need that tight clearance to complete my shift to the big ring.

Last edited:
Just came from Action cycles with my wheels - rear installed, heading to chain...

Look what Tad and Nick sent me yesterday
iamage2.jpg

ok, this is too cool - everything works in the toughest shift position - climbing the half-step on the second-largest rear cog - it's all gravy from here and the chain guard doesn't need any further adjustment.
aP4150001.jpg

12:12p update - Everything is done now except the front wheel.

Last edited:
Are you taking it out tomorrow?
riding at 6am from Stevo's house in Castle Hills, and don't want to smoke test it in the dark.
If my Cyclo shifter screw backed out in the dark I'd probably slit my wrist.
aP3180015.jpg

Plan to spend some time on it next week, ride it to Frankenbike at Alamo Beer Co. on Saturday, and of course bring it out with the group on Sunday.

anyway, what I'm proudest about this bike, is piecing the whole thing together without altering the frame in any way

Last edited:
opted out of Lou's fenders - all the steel was rusted, and I'm not putting any rust on this bike. didn't say that exactly to him, but he understood.
Ordered the NOS from ebay.fr

had a great ride - we knocked out 30 mi including the group ride - I rode the International - Tad's always first and I was 3rd. We continued on to Castle Hills at beer thirty and I won the 9-ball tournament.

In my smoke test rides yesterday, I had to raise the saddle an inch. I'm going to replace my sweet toe-clip pedals with my spare thin-spiked Blackspire, because I can drop the saddle back and move my knees forward. Also discovered the BB on this bike is high, which also agrees with that change - my double kickstand is on 4 points, so I'm also going to go back to a single kickstand.

Last edited:
Back