When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

57 Schwinn something or another...

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Corsair13

'Lil Knee Scuffer
greetings,
I have a October 57 made Schwinn, trying to figure out what it once was. Non original front fork obviosly, but feather guard and white S7s, was red originaly, and has a Mattatuck bracke lever
IMG_20200808_123331.jpg
IMG_20200808_123318.jpg
IMG_20200808_123308.jpg
...57 Catalog guess would be Hornet maybe, but a blue crash rail seat doesnt fir either...I have no idea about 58 because there us no catalog. Any ideas?

With that chain guard and underlying red color it was either a Hornet or a Spitfire. That color was also used on the Flying Star. Looks like the stem and fork have been changed out. What's weird is the bike has a built in stand and all three I mentioned about had bolt on stands. So.............. lets take a few more guesses.

Last edited:
I have a '58 Starlet with coaster brake which has the rear fender bracket designed for a rear caliper brake. Don't know if you can determine the model by the fender bracket. Or did Schwinn change bracket designs year to year, model to model?

I have a '58 Starlet with coaster brake which has the rear fender bracket designed for a rear caliper brake. Don't know if you can determine the model by the fender bracket. Or did Schwinn change bracket designs year to year, model to model?

I agree that anything is possible. Another possibility is who ever pulled the frame and assembled it wasn’t paying attention to that particular detail.

I think I see a rear brake mount so a Tiger or Vette?

I saw that and couldn't make it out good enough to make the call. Looks like a reflector is mounted there but that's all I can tell. More better pictures will get you more better guesses. :p

The Corvettes and Tigers would have had chrome plated rims. If the rims on this bike are OE, then those models have to be ruled out.

We can rule out any middleweight that had gear options. This bike was a coaster model only and appears to have been a solid red, not an Opal from what I can see of the original paint. Spitfire, Hornet, Flying star etc.. The guard says Spitfire or Hornet and it could have had a built in stand which I've seen on a 58 Hornet when the specs say bolt on stand. Here's a blown up picture of some type of bracket holding the rear reflector. It doesn't have the flat caliper bracket.

1597110306063.png

Last edited:
Reactions: JLF
Back