When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

57 Schwinn something or another...

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Found this picture of a 58 Schwinn Spitfire. (Rear rack has been added.) Thought you might like to see another pretty original bike. Pretty sure the seat is 59 and later.

View attachment 1246165
I think that 58 had this style seat

Two toned, rivets along the side, no Schwinn script S.

View attachment 1246167

1958 Hornet image. And I do believe the OP's 1957 Spitfire had this same seat originally and it's also seen on the 1957 Flying Star catalog image. No two tone mattress type saddle was used on the 57 Spit.

1597196094933.png

1958 Hornet image. And I do believe the OP's 1957 Spitfire had this same seat originally and it's also seen on the 1957 Flying Star catalog image. No two tone mattress type saddle was used on the 57 Spit.

View attachment 1246258
Nice! I assume there is no image available of the Spitfire? I really like the Hornet....it may end up as one!

No other images for 58 that I know of or seen. The now owner of Schwinn doesn't even have a catalog for 1958.

In the TRFindley collection of original Schwinn color brochures, there are two pictures/illustrations of 1957 Schwinns. Clint Walker is posed with a blue Corvette; James Arness is posed with an un-named tank bike showing Schwinn features. Neither of which is representative of a Spitfire. Google images has many pictures of Spitfires. Some have the newer two-tone saddles, some have the more conventional early 50s saddles. Maybe there is no definitive answer as to which seat is correct.

Even less for 58. (My 58 Starlet has a two tone saddle, no S.) In 59, there were many other new innovations - seat, chainguard, a couple of reflectors, pedals, etc. Trying to renew, restore, refurbish a 57 or 58 using original Schwinn literature is nearly impossible. You have to rely on pictures of bikes that are said to be OE. But, who really knows.

Last edited:
If you look at the 57 Girls Spitfire catalog image you'll know. Then look at the nice 1955 Spitfire image and there it is. And the same for 1956.
In 1958 there must have been a seat change on the Hornets and Spits. Those look like 24" models to me.

Last edited:
Still no 1958 catalog? I just have a frame so pointless trying to figure out what it was. Im not so concerned with what it was more so what I can make of it. A clean slate as they say.

You can go from basic to all,out when starting with just a frame. Availability of parts and the depth of your pockets are your only limitations. In Findley's collection there is a Fair trade price guide dated February 1, 1958. It shows the following models:
F series bikes - cantilever frame.
Jaguar
Corvette
Streamliner
Tiger
American

The K series bikes - single tube or whatever you call them
Hornet
Deluxe Hornet
Deluxe Spitfire
Flying Star
Spitfire
Tornado

Google some pictures and see what you find. A lot of changes took place in 59.
1955 - 58 will probably be closer to what you have

Last edited:
Reactions: JLF
Back