When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

57 Schwinn something or another...

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Great responses, thank you! The reflector bracket is home made...
I will have my hands on the bike tomorrow so more pictures to follow, and maybe some careful pai t reduction on tje chainguard to see if there is any markings underneathe the repaint. So far I am betting Spitfire

20200810_204804.jpg

Reactions: JLF
That curved fender bracket is as "stock Schwinn" as the come. If everything else, except for paint, is original then you need to be looking for a 57 middleweight with painted rims and the feather chainguard. When I look at the illustrations in the 57 brochure, the only bike that fits the description is a Hornet. But a Hornet was equipped with a rear rack and truss rods. And a detachable kickstand. ?????

That curved fender bracket is as "stock Schwinn" as the come. If everything else, except for paint, is original then you need to be looking for a 57 middleweight with painted rims and the feather chainguard. When I look at the illustrations in the 57 brochure, the only bike that fits the description is a Hornet. But a Hornet was equipped with a rear rack and truss rods. And a detachable kickstand. ?????

How could you miss the Spitfire? ;)

1597120253202.png

A serial stamped October 57 drop out very well could have been used to build a frame and bike for and in 1958. I've seen quite a few Schwinns that had late October serial dates that were the next year's model.
Schwinn stamped thousands of head tubes in December 1980 and many of those ended up being used on the 1981 Cruisers and many had build dates in April of 1981.

I DO suspect a 58 catalogue bike due to the unusual aspects, and the lack of references for 58 model year bikes

Found this picture of a 58 Schwinn Spitfire. (Rear rack has been added.) Thought you might like to see another pretty original bike. Pretty sure the seat is 59 and later.

1597181618760.png

I think that 58 had this style seat

Two toned, rivets along the side, no Schwinn script S.

1597182075778.png

Last edited:
Back