When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

57 Schwinn Twins (Corvettes) - Patina or no ?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
It could have been 1956 or 1955 that we got those bikes. I was told a while back that it was a 1957 corvette so that's when I thought we must have got it.

This is the seat on it. I think it came with that seat. The markings on it aren't scuff marks or wear, I pulled the seat cover off tonight, (probably the first time it's been off in 66 years) what looks like marks is from the foam rubber seat cover padding where it stuck to the seat. It rubs off.

Seat 1small.JPG

Seat Post small.JPG

Seat side view small.JPG

Last edited:
Serial number N87806 - Looks like this one was built in November 1954.

View attachment 1429574

The serial number was stamped on the component on that date, and the frame was built sometime later. I usually average about 2 months from stamping to finish. The rear hub also has a date on it with month and year. That looks like a real clean piece and hardly used and it appears the tires are original too. Oh! and that seat is probably original. The very early ones used those seats.
Yours has the first year 1955 front Mayweg carrier and the early chain guard and those pieces were not used in 56 or later. No doubt that's a 1955 model.

Last edited:
Looks pretty good, I would let the new owner do the detailing, sometimes good intentions go awry and you wouldn't want to do any unintentional damage.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I know that this bike was never hacked or molested. I don't even think any of the nuts and bolts have been disturbed since it came from the factory, except it looks like the left spring nut under the seat was replaced (with a square nut - pretty period correct 😃 it probably came from my Grandfather's stash out in the barn.) I'm pretty sure it has the original brake pads and I doubt if they were ever even adjusted.

Last edited:
The serial number was stamped on the component on that date, and the frame was built sometime later. I usually average about 2 months from stamping to finish. The rear hub also has a date on it with month and year. That looks like a real clean piece and hardly used and it appears the tires are original too. Oh! and that seat is probably original too. The very early ones used those seats.
Yours has the first year 1955 front Mayweg carrier and the early chain guard and those pieces were not used in 56 or later. No doubt that's a 1955 model.
Yes the tires are original, I can attest to that. they still hold air and have decent tread on them and I haven't seen any cracks on them. (but I didn't examine closely)

Wow yes that is the seat. And I can't tell for sure but it looks like the valve stem caps are like mine.

Last edited:
I'm interested in buying the bike, if you're selling. Sent you a pm. (thanks, Gary for the heads up on this!)

A real Gold Mine there. If it were mine and I had a mind to clean it up, I think a low pressure wash at the car wash would get the “aged dust” off of it.

Back