When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

57 Schwinn Twins (Corvettes) - Patina or no ?

-

LRAC

Look Ma, No Hands!
1957_schwinn_1 Clint Walker.jpg

My Father bought us a pair of Corvettes in the summer of '57. (He got them at Silvani's Cycle Shop on E' Tremont Ave. in the Bronx.)
One red and the other blue. The red one is about as roached out as it could be.
The blue one still looks pretty much like the one in this picture. The seat has a cover on it from day one, original tires with good tread and might even hold air.

It's time to find a new home for the blue one. (and maybe someone would want the bones of the red one.)

My question is this - should I clean it up or not? It had a couple of summers of light use in the fifties and was ridden a few summer days in the 80's other than that it's been hanging out of harm's way. Should I leave it the way it is for the next owner or clean it up for sale. The paint is perfect and cleaned and detailed it would like that picture.

A cleaned up and detailed piece will net more in a sale, but your time is involved so it's kind of a trade off. If it's not that bad and a couple of hours would make a huge difference, I'd clean it up.

It has two Weimann tags on it, and blue Mayweg tag on the front of the rack. The tires are Schwinn Straight Side Tornado, have good tread, spin true and still hold air. Those decals look pretty fragile, what is the best way to clean them?

1623640398488.jpeg

SILVANI'S CYCLE CO. - "BICYCLE & BABY CARRIAGE REPAIRS"
I can still picture old Mr. Silvani in his little "Cycle Co.". Nice man with one glass eye and a big smile and a little cycle shop, wooden floors and every inch of the place crammed to the rafters with bikes and a machine shop in the back.

Oh my, that's not a 1957, it's a 1955 model! And @hatz4katz has been looking for the right one for a long time. The seat is not the typical 1955 seat. What's under the cover?

What's the serial number on that one? It'll be just above the left rear axle nut.

The decals are somewhat fragile but with nerves of steel and the touch of a new born, they can be cleaned up. 😉

Last edited:
Back