When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

58 Spitfire pics

-

drglinski

Finally riding a big boys bike
Been crushing on my 58 Spitfire lately that I got in 2012 as a Christmas present since I haven't been riding my Dad's Typhoon as much.

When I got it I replaced the bent bars, added repop chubby grips, a new headbadge, a softer but still somewhat accurate saddle, correct pedals, added the rear rack, repop rear reflector, new tires, and replaced the F&S single speed rear hub with a red band Bendix automatic. Had it out on a ride tonight. It sure is fun to ride.

PXL_20220728_235911633.jpg

Last edited:
How early in 58 is the serial number? Schwinn started using the built in stands on these sometime in 1958 or with the late 58 serial numbers.

Last edited:
How early in 58 is the serial number? Schwinn started using the built in stands on these sometime in 1958.
I'll have to check it tomorrow; I forget off hand. I know it has a welded on and not bolted on stand.

I'll have to check it tomorrow; I forget off hand. I know it has a welded on and not bolted on stand.

I've only seen two other 58 Spitfires with a built in stand. When Schwinn completely revamped all the new 1959 models the Hornet and the Spitfire were still being built with most of the 1958 specs. They did finally get their update sometime in 1959.

Edit: I should have said these models with 58 Serial numbers, not 1958 models. @HARPO has a M8 Hornet that was built in 1959 but it was not built as the Hornet that's shown in the catalogs.

Last edited:
S/N is K805221 which means it was made 10/28/1958 from the angelfire page. View attachment 1671469

View attachment 1671468

The date associated to the serial numbers is the date the number was stamped on the drop and then later used to build a frame. The frame was made sometime after that date. There are no 1958 catalogs so it's hard to say when Schwinn first used the built in stands on these Hornets and Spitfires. Thanks for posting the serial!

Back