When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'59 Jaguar—rusty and dusty

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Cranky Chain Cycles

Finally riding a big boys bike
This '59 Jaguar was a huge find. The owner only wanted $100. It belonged to her boyfriends grandmother who happened to be in the USAF. Personnel were given these to get around base. You can see remnants of the decals on the rear fender.
Details: she's rusty and dusty. The chain is stiffer than a ministers pecker. The chrome is rotted out on the stem and handlebars. The rear brake needs to be rebuilt. The button on the horn is seized so I don't know if the guts are there. The red primer is showing in spots like the chainstays.

Cranky Chain Cycles

NOT for sale. Not interested in parting out.

IMG_5963.JPG

fullsizeoutput_2198.jpeg

IMG_5969.JPG

IMG_5970.JPG

IMG_5971.JPG

fullsizeoutput_219b.jpeg

IMG_5977.JPG

IMG_5978.JPG

IMG_5979.JPG

IMG_5980.JPG

IMG_5982.JPG

IMG_5983.JPG

IMG_5985.JPG

If that's the minimum, I'd wait until I had more than a stem and a handlebar. You can buy them off EBay for less than that.

Exactly. As much as I’d like to keep it all original I’m pragmatic. It’s like trying to restore the tires– a waste of time and money.

So far I’d replace the tires, chain, decals on the tank, pedals etc. the decals on the chainguard and frame are in good condition. Luckily it looks like the rust on the racks is superficial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the stem and handlebar salvageable without replating? Shops charge $250 minimum for chrome replating.

View attachment 1010737

If your like me, take the stem off the fork and soak in some apple cider vinegar and get a can of rattle can chrome and paint till your hearts content. The bars should clean up with a wire wheel on a 4" angle grinder. Then apply same said instant chrome to the bars. Have fun and enjoy. Razin. P.S. I love the cheap bikes too. Got my DX for $75.00.

A lot of that rust looks superficial and will clean up well in an oxalic acid solution. If the rust is really superficial and light, then buffing with 0000 steel wool will be quick and easy. The chrome on the stem and bars looks flaked and will not come back with cleaning. I'd either do as razin says or replace both. New replacement bars are cheap, and original stems can be found.

everything on the bike can be made to look better but not like new.I would sit back and decide exactly what you want the end result to be before running out and buying parts.Once you put a shiny new piece of chrome on it will stick out like a sore thumb and will look wrong.

everything on the bike can be made to look better but not like new.I would sit back and decide exactly what you want the end result to be before running out and buying parts.Once you put a shiny new piece of chrome on it will stick out like a sore thumb and will look wrong.

Balanced. That’s the look.

Back