When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

59 Wasp w/middleweight features

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
This is a dead-on fascinating bike. Maybe a year ago a frameset with fenders claiming to be NOS Wasp popped up on eBay. The fenders had the same paint scheme as yours. The pictures were marginal, and I assumed it was a mis-represented repaint, as I'd never seen this fender paint scheme on anything but the '59 Panther II and Debutante lines. So assuming your fenders are factory paint (and they certainly look factory from here) you have something pretty rare. Perhaps the factory was toying with the idea of a Deluxe Wasp, because if they were, your bike looks like it would be it. Anyway, very neat score.

While flipping through the '59 catalog was reminded that this bike could also be had in Radiant Green, so now I've got another impossible thing to search for, a '59 Radiant Green Wasp with the scalloped fender treatment. Frig. Again, super neat bike you've got there.

One other possible idea, perhaps these fenders were aftermarket. I have no documentation so show that Elrae or McCaulley (or whoever) was knocking out heavyweight fenders with this paint scheme, but lots of other aftermarket fenders were made in Schwinn colors and paint schemes. But your fenders are riveted, so likely not aftermarket, but just an idea.

Cheers, Geoff

Thanks Geoff. The fenders sure look like factory items, same size and flare as my friends Wasp. If the fenders are aftermarket they sure did a good job matching the color and quality of the paint. Maybe Schwinn was toying w/a deluxe Wasp which might explain some of the other features. Deluxe paint scheme would fit w/ deluxe pedals and seat. Trying to find info on the dealer maybe they had influence on how bike was configured. I know jpromo has seen bikes with that same decal. Perhaps he knows if they were a large long time dealer.

Do you remember if the red one on e-bay had the S reflector? How about the chrome fork cap? One poster insists its an add on but I haven't seen these on balloon forks only middleweights so don't know where it came from to add on.

Good luck finding a radiant green one, even one with the regular paint scheme. Not sure I've seen a green one from any year. Although I believe the earlier ones would be a darker shade of green. I know the metallic blue was different shade than the radiant blue.
Chris

Last edited:
Am also wondering if anyone knows the distance from the tip of the rear fender to the single hole drilled for the standard round rear reflector?

Any Michigan bicycle license plates for sale? I am a collector, always on the hunt for more......

IMG_5621.JPG

There's always that one bike that breaks all the rules! My '59 has the additions of '70s S2 rims, and a mesinger seat, but I was pleased to hand over $550 for it.
wasp.jpg

Back