When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'59 White Corvette, A Gentle Restoration

-
Here is a red Schwinn Fairlady frame. Built on Feb 6, 1959. Would this be a suitable test subject?

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/263442647322

EDIT: forgot the link!!

Nope. Not like the white Corvette and Fair Lady decals. Here's what I would do it that were mine, but I'm crazy. I'd carefully clean the decals and the paint directly around the decals and then put a piss coat of clear lacquer over them. Then soak the frame.

Nope. Not like the white Corvette and Fair Lady decals. Here's what I would do it that were mine, but I'm crazy. I'd carefully clean the decals and the paint directly around the decals and then put a piss coat of clear lacquer over them. Then soak the frame.

I know the decals look different, but I am hoping the material might be the same?

I know the decals look different, but I am hoping the material might be the same?

It appears that the gold fades out and the red is fairly stable on these decals, so I'd assume they are not quite the same as the solid white decals.

It appears that the gold fades out and the red is fairly stable on these decals, so I'd assume they are not quite the same as the solid white decals.
Exactly,as mentioned before,I have a feeling the gold is actually screened over the red decal,making it as fragile as stingray guard screening..

Exactly,as mentioned before,I have a feeling the gold is actually screened over the red decal,making it as fragile as stingray guard screening..

What about this ole girl I found on eBay? Seems to have the same seat tube decal? Similar top tube decal also?

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335809022&icep_item=263469673906

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Partsguy, I’m really enjoying your threads! Learning a lot about taking time and using patience with regard to projects...whether it be a Radio Bike or the white ‘59 Corvette.

Thanks for posting your experiences,

Barry

Last edited:
A Schwinn buddy of mine came over and gave me a tip for my gaurd. To fix the rust on the backside, soak some paper towels with Evaporust, and place them on the backside, with some on top. Check periodically. This will not harm the paint on the front. :sunglasses:

Funny you mention that. Just yesterday did a Evaporust Gel test on a chainguard. The gel was pretty thick so it stuck well. I used a foam brush to move it around. You only leave it on for a couple of hours. I did 2 applications on this. This one was bad on the back but pretty good paint so a good test. Not going to make it perfect but it looks a lot better to me. See what you think.

001 (Medium).JPG

029 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:
Back